Late Winter/ Early Spring High Sierra Trail 2015

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Late Winter/ Early Spring High Sierra Trail 2015

Post by Silky Smooth »

Hi gang, I've been meaning to post this for all of you. Blackout, Tom Sawyer and I snowshoe/hiked the High Sierra Trail March 18th. Lots of fun and not too much snow out there, but there was some. Didn't see a soul, only a marmot, a grey fox and white rabbit. By the way your welcome, Blackout cleaned out the hot springs real nice for all you!

We've been doing some big winter hikes the last 3 years, 500 miles 2 years ago, 300 miles last year, and this year we did a trinity alps/marble mtns 275 mile trip and this hst hike. Trauma and Pepper we saw your tracks at Crabtree. Nice to see people pushing the envelope and looking for new challenges, you inspired us to get out there again in late winter, besides climbing around in the Alabama Hills.

-Silky Smooth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tanngrisnir3
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Late Winter/ Early Spring High Sierra Trail 2015

Post by tanngrisnir3 »

Nice! I'd be very interested in hearing/seeing about your Trinity Alps trip. It's a place that, for a Central (and now Southern) Californian, is rather exotic.

That 4th shot is what photography is all about: telling a story about something in just a moment's time. Well done.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks a lot for the intro TR and pictures. Did you do the entire HST? Any shots of the Sierra Crest from the Wallace Creek area or
looking down the Kern before descending the trail from the Chagoopa Plateau?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

maverick wrote:Thanks a lot for the intro TR and pictures. Did you do the entire HST? Any shots of the Sierra Crest from the Wallace Creek area or
looking down the Kern before descending the trail from the Chagoopa Plateau?

Yeah we did the whole thing, I only had what I emailed myself, i'll try and dig some up tonight. I remember at the Moraine Lake junction I was standing on top of the sign. Good amount of snow up there, coming down the plateau snow diminished really quickly, the Kern was gorgeous, not much water flowing compared to other years. Didn't run into snow till about 9300-9500 around Wallace, Crabtree area had a decent amount of snow too, but not terrible. Snow was melting fast, we had a string of really warm weather towards the end. Got hailed/rained on once.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Looks like you had snowshoes but were not using them. Was the snow that hard that you could just walk on it?
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Ohhh we used them, just not that at that moment, a lot of switching on/off post the Gap once we came down. Used them all the way to the gap from a little before Precipice lake. It was fairly early still and the snow was hard. The inconsistent conditions made it a little annoying to take them on and off. Sorry didn't get a chance to dig up the photos, all on my ladys camera.