Kern-Sierra Trail help/suggestions needed

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Kern-Sierra Trail help/suggestions needed

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I was looking on Google Earth last night and the current images show the wash-outs on Shepherd Pass. You can also see the trail quite clearly. I have camped at those lakes on the top near the pass and they are fine if weather is good. Can be quite windy. There used to be some sheltered spots in scrub timber above the Pothole, off to the right of the trail (if going down). I have never camped lower, but just looking down on Anvil Camp it looked nice.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Kern-Sierra Trail help/suggestions needed

Post by wanderin.jack »

Thanks everyone, great info here! We are planning a similar trip coming in over Cottonwood P, down to the Kern via Big and Little Whitney M and up the Kern to the Milestone Basin, over to Wrights Lakes then out over Crabtree Pass and the Miter Basin. This thread has been very helpful, especially re: the Milestone Basin. I have most of it figured out but just have one question.

Heading south on the JMT from Tyndall Crk, how is the best way to get into the Wrights Lakes?
A) short cut behind the Tyndall Frog Ponds over the pass north of Tawny Pt or
B) just stay on the JMT to the Bighorn Plateau and cut left up into the basin?

Thanks all!
Wanderin' Jack