Kings Canyon High Basin Route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kings Canyon High Basin Route

Post by alpinemike »

Well it's not like turning back and the alternative was too much better. That other side of the creek looked pretty awful and technical. Hey.. I'm the one that almost died :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Panoramic
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Panoramic »

From a guide stand point this certainly can be a blocking point. King Col with any sort of cornice would be impassable without ropes. It's just too narrow and steep.
Agreed. This is the one high Sierra crossing that I would not do again. Very loose and steep from bottom to top.

Chris
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Chris,

Welcome to HST! Hope you will write up an intro when you get the time. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted

Post by WarrenFork »

A "high" route that drops as low as 6000 feet (Simpson Meadow) apart from the endpoints feels a little contrived to me. (The low point of both Roper's route and the Muir Trail excluding the ends is 7550 feet at Devil's Postpile.)

Also, since it's being touted as a high basin route, I was surprised to read on the promotional site that "The next high basin — Palisades — would entail an unjustifiable effort and is therefore bypassed." This seems more like a marketing ploy to differentiate the route from Roper's than anything else. If my focus was hiking high basins I'd be much more inclined to rank the Enchanted Gorge and the thrash down Goddard Creek in the "unjustifiable effort" category.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

heh talk about contrived....I have been incorporating shapes and symbols into my routes over the last couple years that has actually worked out in unexpected ways
andrewskurka
Topix Novice

Post by andrewskurka »

WarrenFork wrote:A "high" route that drops as low as 6000 feet (Simpson Meadow) apart from the endpoints feels a little contrived to me. (The low point of both Roper's route and the Muir Trail excluding the ends is 7550 feet at Devil's Postpile.)

Also, since it's being touted as a high basin route, I was surprised to read on the promotional site that "The next high basin — Palisades — would entail an unjustifiable effort and is therefore bypassed." This seems more like a marketing ploy to differentiate the route from Roper's than anything else. If my focus was hiking high basins I'd be much more inclined to rank the Enchanted Gorge and the thrash down Goddard Creek in the "unjustifiable effort" category.
Here are the rest of the low points:

Lodgepole 6,720
Colby Canyon 9,040
Junction Meadow 8,202
Castle Domes Meadow 7,874
South Fork 9,383
Middle Fork & Palisades 8,040
Simpson Meadow 5,960

If you want to avoid Simpson Meadow, exit at Courtwright. But the logistics will be a real pain in the pass. If there were a road up the Middle Fork the route would end there (which I also stated in the online materials) but there thankfully is not, so the obvious exit from there is Road's End. If you want to hike the JMT because this route drops lower for a few miles, go for it.

I'd encourage you to map out the route through Palisades Basin from the bottom of Cataract Creek or Adventurer Col and let me know if you still think it makes sense. It adds 10k of vertical up and down, yet you get just two passes out of it and you still end up at LeConte Ranger Station since there is really no natural way to follow the crest. I would have loved to add Palisades Basin, but it seemed unnecessarily difficult given where the rest of the route is going.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Just finished reading this thread from beginning to end. For anyone who has been to www.sierrahiker.com make sure you read the Disclaimer and Warning. It's so difficult to communicate effectively with others when conditioning and skill sets vary so widely from person to person. Those of us who share our experiences assume that those who read our reports will use them with caution. I'm turning 70 this month and at this age, I wouldn't attempt many of the hikes I have described. Many of them were taken after getting myself into shape to run marathons [PR 3:03]. I feel good when I run an 11 minute mile now days. I'm still hiking but I'm not going down Enchanted Gorge any time soon.