Kings Canyon High Basin Route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
andrewskurka
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Kings Canyon High Basin Route

Post by andrewskurka »

Hey folks,

It's odd that I had to create an account today before posting -- I'm surprised I had never done it during one of my lurking sessions over the past few years. Gosh, I even have the HST Map on my bookmarks toolbar.

In 2013 and 2014 I spent quite a bit of time in Sequoia-Kings, exploring the area on 1-week trips with fairly ambitious itineraries. I had been inspired by the Sierra High Route in 2008, and slowly I identified a similar route in Kings Canyon by following the watershed divide and/or connecting the basins (Gardiner, Arrow, Lakes, Dumbbell, Ionian) that sit just off the main Sierra crest.

I think a lot of the HST members, which seem to be a more advanced group, will appreciate this line, the [SELF-PROMOTIONAL LINK REMOVED]. It's just as good as the Sierra High Route, perhaps even better, and the logistics are a hell of a lot easier. It is a 124-mile thru-hike (with two-thirds of that being off-trail), but can be done in section-hikes, too; I identified about 20 possibilities, but settled on nine that range from 30-80 miles.

A quick thanks to some of the community members who have posted route information. The description of Copper Mine Pass was especially clutch, as it gave the route a nice southern edge versus some of the other routes that I had looked at. Ditto for Observation Peak Pass and Adventurer Col -- versus Amphitheater, it stays higher and shaves off some distance.

Andrew
Last edited by ERIC on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promotional link deleted. Please read our terms of use policy http://highsierratopix.com/privacy-policy-terms-conditions/
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Kings Canyon High Basin Route

Post by oldranger »

Are we now posting advertisements in the forum? I think it takes more than a little gall to give credit to HST members for some of the info contained in the Guide that is being promoted then charging HST members for the privilege of reading the information.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Ska-T »

I have to agree with oldranger. It struck me as inappropriate, too, especially since the post hides the fact that it is an advertisement.
ndpanda
Topix Acquainted

Post by ndpanda »

Nice to know there are people willing to pay to be told to hike the Enchanted Gorge (and the horrendous bushwack upstream from Simpson Meadow). I think I'd like to get in on this. How does $25 to tell them not to sound?
andrewskurka
Topix Novice

Post by andrewskurka »

Hi Mike -

There is extensive information online about this route, all free. NPS website for permits and regs, this website for pass and route info, my website for a route description, map, scheduling considerations, etc. With this information, it's entirely possible to map out the route, compile critical route info, and go do it.

For those who wish to avoid spending days (if not weeks) doing this work, or who wish to have the information vetted, I made available a Guide (which I intentionally did not mention earlier). The convenience may not be worth a nominal charge to you, which is fine. But personally I'm happy to pay for quality content (e.g. the copies of Roper's, Secor's, Kelsey's, and Allen's guidebooks that are in my bookshelf, plus Tom Harrision Maps and a first edition of The Complete Walker, among other things) since that goes a long way in justifying the hundreds of hours that it takes to develop it.

Andrew
Last edited by andrewskurka on Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewskurka
Topix Novice

Post by andrewskurka »

ndpanda wrote:Nice to know there are people willing to pay to be told to hike the Enchanted Gorge (and the horrendous bushwack upstream from Simpson Meadow). I think I'd like to get in on this. How does $25 to tell them not to sound?
For the Sierra, it is indeed a tough bushwhack. There are lot of game trails through there, though, and it helps to be going down Goddard instead of up it. I wish I could have avoided this segment, but it proved impossible without making the logistics of a thru-hike really difficult. Exiting at Courtwright, no thanks, though that would be practical as a loop. Overall, it seemed like putting your head down and pushing through a few miles of scratchy brush was worth it, given what that segment does for the rest of the route.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I just wanted to point out that on the page you linked it has a photo which is described "From Windy Ridge, on one of the section-hike loops, looking up Goddard Creek across the Middle Fork of the Kings River"

The photo is looking across that unnamed lake at Leconte Canyon. Goddard Creek is the next valley to the West.

I'm glad you were able to make use of Adventurer Col / Pass and Observation Peak Pass. It's such a beautiful connecting point to the Dumbbell Lakes and has such a remote feel for me even if it's not really that far off of the JMT.

Do you have a map that has the entire route outlined on it?
andrewskurka
Topix Novice

Post by andrewskurka »

RoguePhotonic wrote:I just wanted to point out that on the page you linked it has a photo which is described "From Windy Ridge, on one of the section-hike loops, looking up Goddard Creek across the Middle Fork of the Kings River"

The photo is looking across that unnamed lake at Leconte Canyon. Goddard Creek is the next valley to the West.

I'm glad you were able to make use of Adventurer Col / Pass and Observation Peak Pass. It's such a beautiful connecting point to the Dumbbell Lakes and has such a remote feel for me even if it's not really that far off of the JMT.

Do you have a map that has the entire route outlined on it?
Yep, you are definitely right on that, thanks for the fact check. It's hard to take a bearing when looking at pretty photos on your computer; even so, I'm surprised I didn't remember that distinctly as being LeConte.

Yes, the Cartridge/Observation Peak/Adventure Col connection is sweet. Not far off the JMT at all, but it feels like a different planet.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Promotional link removed from the OP. Please be sure to read our terms of use policy carefully http://highsierratopix.com/privacy-poli ... onditions/
Our policy about linking generally softens after a member has been around a while, but promotional linking in a first ever post is highly frowned upon.
Promotional Links / Content / SPAM:
Post content or member profiles containing links or other information where the intent is to advertise or promote third party websites, products or services will not be tolerated. Offending posts and member accounts will be deleted immediately unless prior authorization to publish the content was provided in writing by HST. For questions regarding what is or is not acceptable, please contact HST staff via email or the PM feature of the HST forums.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
andrewskurka
Topix Novice

Post by andrewskurka »

ERIC wrote: Our policy about linking generally softens after a member has been around a while, but promotional linking in a first ever post is highly frowned upon.
Totally reasonable and understood, apologies for you havinng to intervene.