North Dome Camping? | High Sierra Topix  

North Dome Camping?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Re: North Dome Camping?

Postby InsaneBoost » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:49 pm

Awesome responses everyone. This is why this is one of my favorite forums on the web -- and go-to forum for hiking.

I guess the only last question in my brain is thunderstorms. I know the rules when in the forest. Get near smaller trees around bigger ones. Find little valley type areas in fields and such. Make yourself as small as possible.

But what happens if for whatever reason the sky's are clear and during the night a storm approaches? Do I sit in my tent and pray? Run for the trees?

Any good links to the higher elevations when it comes to weather. I know most stuff runs off the valley and that's not very useful for high areas.

InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Postby sparky » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:56 pm

Pretty rare for a thunderstorm to approach in summer at night without warning signs, but it does happen. I always camp in a sheltered area. A good view isn't a quality I look for in a campsite as I can walk to those spots. I think of a campsite as "where I sleep". The times I have been exposed in my tent with lightning crashing around me I just prayed haha
There is a million ways to be human, all are worthwhile.

True happiness is the absence of striving for happiness.
-Chuang Tzu.
sparky
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby maverick » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:05 pm

InsaneBoost wrote:

But what happens if for whatever reason the sky's are clear and during the night a storm approaches? Do I sit in
my tent and pray? Run for the trees?

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8001&hilit=lightening#p58095
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby rlown » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:30 pm

you don't have to camp ON the dome. You can camp close enough and be safe from the lightning and possible wind and then just dance around on the rock as a dayhike.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Previous

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping