North Dome Camping?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: North Dome Camping?

Post by InsaneBoost »

Awesome responses everyone. This is why this is one of my favorite forums on the web -- and go-to forum for hiking.

I guess the only last question in my brain is thunderstorms. I know the rules when in the forest. Get near smaller trees around bigger ones. Find little valley type areas in fields and such. Make yourself as small as possible.

But what happens if for whatever reason the sky's are clear and during the night a storm approaches? Do I sit in my tent and pray? Run for the trees?

Any good links to the higher elevations when it comes to weather. I know most stuff runs off the valley and that's not very useful for high areas.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Pretty rare for a thunderstorm to approach in summer at night without warning signs, but it does happen. I always camp in a sheltered area. A good view isn't a quality I look for in a campsite as I can walk to those spots. I think of a campsite as "where I sleep". The times I have been exposed in my tent with lightning crashing around me I just prayed haha
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

InsaneBoost wrote:
But what happens if for whatever reason the sky's are clear and during the night a storm approaches? Do I sit in
my tent and pray? Run for the trees?
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8001&hilit=lightening#p58095
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

you don't have to camp ON the dome. You can camp close enough and be safe from the lightning and possible wind and then just dance around on the rock as a dayhike.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Anyone have any more water info for this trip? Considering an overnight with my 8 year old as a 2nd time backpack trip. The closeness/availability of water is a key concern.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think it is a bit late in this dry year to camp on North Dome, especially with a kid. You will probably have to haul water from Lehamite Creek. Royal Arch Creek will likely be dry. And it will be HOT!
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:55 pm I think it is a bit late in this dry year to camp on North Dome, especially with a kid. You will probably have to haul water from Lehamite Creek. Royal Arch Creek will likely be dry. And it will be HOT!
Thx. That was my instinct as well; got permits for Cathedral Lakes instead.