North Dome Camping?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

North Dome Camping?

Post by InsaneBoost »

Has anyone ever backpacked and camped to North Dome? I know it's not exactly a long hike and can be done for most people in a day, but I'm trying to get together some simple overnighters for the girlfriend. We already have planned the Chain Lakes trip as one, and I think she might enjoy North Dome as well.

Anyone ever camped there? Thoughts on it? Worth it?
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: North Dome Camping?

Post by sparky »

yeah its worth it for sure. A very cool campsite a little off trail by basket dome as well.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, well worth at least a night, very upclose/intimate views of Half Dome, and plenty of campsites available.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

What was unclear to me is where would be the best place to bring water from? It looks like once the snow has melted it would be a dry campsite (I assume the place everyone means is in the trees just before you go out onto the done itself)
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There is a seasonal creek (not on the map) before you get to the trail to Arch Rock on the way in. Supposedly there is a "spring" near North Dome itself, but when I was there years ago, it was dry. You could take the other trail that goes down Lemhamite Creek, get water there and it is 0.7miles to Arch Creek (which may or may not have water) then another 0.8 miles to the top of North Dome. I would do this trip early this year, because both Arch and Lemhamite Creek may go dry later, although both are shown as permanent streams on the map. A better bet for late season water, would be to instead to down to Snow Creek, and then camp on Pt 6780. It has a great view of Half Dome and Snow Creek is nearby for water.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

I went there Memorial Day 2012 in the snow (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7702) and even then all there was close to North Dome itself was a not very appealing looking puddle at the base of the dome.

We'll probably head up there for 3 days/2 nights over spring break (week of April 20) so I'll be interested to see where we can find water. But will definitely look at Pt 6780 for the first night after we climb the Snow Creek trail.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

The closest dependable water I know is at Lehamite Creek--and that's a bit of a hike from North Dome.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

the campsite by basket dome has a creek and great views too. I bet the creek dries up toward the end of summer though but not sure
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Thanks for the information everyone. Anyone have photos of their actual campsite by chance? Always love those pictures. I assume you want to camp in the forest areas just before the dome, than on the dome itself?

The plan would be to do it sometime around the time when Tioga opens. I assume because most do this as a day hike a permit to camp would be easier to come by than other areas of the park, so hopefully water won't be a huge problem, but I'll just go by the old, "if there's water, top off."
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

camp by basket dome
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.