Itinerary for ten day High Sierra Trail--thoughts?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Itinerary for ten day High Sierra Trail--thoughts?

Post by maverick »

Kaweah Gap can be outstanding at sunset, if the condition are optimal, especially if you head up Eagle Scout Peaks shoulder, also the sunrise views from the top of the trail, on the Chagoopa Plateau, as it starts its descent down into the Kern. The lakes situated up on the bench, going up towards Pyra-Queen Col are worth checking out in 9 Lakes Basin.
On the northern side of Valhalla, opposite of Hamilton Lakes, you find beautiful Tamarack Lake, it offers solitude, and is also worth a day hike from Hamilton, if you have time and energy.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

I remember one small creek between Big Arroyo and Morraine Lake. The terrain didn't seem suitable for a campsite, but I went up the hill and there was a campsite. It'll be to your left.

I didn't have a problem with Morraine Lake at all, I spent a night there.

Edit: It was 08 when I went through there.
Claire Bear
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Claire Bear »

Hello, MountainMinstrel!
I am planning a ten-day HST itinerary for early this September and am curious how your September 2015 experience went? Any additional tips for me?
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

When we went it was during the rough fire and we were blessed because it kept virtually everyone off the trail and the prevailing winds kept all the smoke at bay. We had a great time although we didn't get to explore Nine Lakes as I had hoped as going over Kaweah Gap took it out of my companions. With a 10day plan you will have plenty of time to enjoy some of the awesome scenery and just relax. Don't camp at Guitar Lake but rather the tarn above it. Get an early start from there so that if trail camp is the zoo it was for us you won't have to go from there to outpost in the dark.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is always a balancing act between food carried for a slower approach and less weight if you just bite the bullet and do a few rigorous days. That assumes that everyone in the group is in shape and nobody is unduely affected by altitude. For me, once I get up to 10-days food, the first few days are pretty miserable and slow.

You can buy some more backpacking time if you walk in to Mehrten Creek (first reliable water in September) on the drive day. On several trips I simply got up early, drove 6 hours, got my permit and was on the trail by 3PM. The trail is well maintained and I got there with plenty of daylight remaining. Then the next day I easily reached Hamilton Lake. On one late June trip we made it all the way to Nine Mile Creek before dark, leaving Crescent Meadow at 3PM. And at the end, if you camp at Outpost you can delete breakfast and buy a big breakfast at the Portal.

I have also car camped and left Crescent Meadow 7 AM and reached Hamilton Lake in about 8 hours, leaving plenty of time to relax and fish. The trail is good and you simply keep moving at a moderate pace. Same with the trudge to Moraine Lake from Nine Lakes Basin. It is very do-able, although in September there is not likely to be much water on the plateau, so you would have to carry water. Moraine Lake to Junction Meadow is a good day, which allows an early AM climb up to Wallace Creek. But then I am not much for Kern Hot Springs; if you love hot springs, then obviously you would stop early there.

There is no point hiking up Wallace Creek unless you make it all the way to Wallace Lake and that takes some time. It is beautiful, but best at afternoon sun lighting. Wales Lake is even more scenic, with afternoon light the best. If I were doing this, I would figure out how to actaully camp at Wallace Lake (near outlet area lots of established campsites) and take a late afternoon day-hike to Wales Lake. Return to the PCT and continue to the bench above Guitar Lake.

If you camp on the bench above Guitar Lake, an afternoon hike to Arctic Lake is very scenic. I thought Outpost camp was scenic, but it fills up and if you do not get there early, all the good campsites are taken. It can be noisy, with everyone getting up early to do Whitney, so take ear plugs. Although you have to get down some tricky slabs and ledge systems, Consultation Lake is pretty (full of rainbow trout too) and not many people camp there. I have also camped at Lone Pine Lake. Most people would just continue to the trailhead, but my knees were stressed so I stopped. I would have been too tired to drive home so at least I had a free and definite place to camp.

If you are into photography, be aware that about everthing west of Trail Crest has better lighting in the later afternoon. And fishing is fair to good in
Hamilton Lake, the unnamed Nine Mile Lake half mile ne of Keweah Gap, Kern River, Wallace Lake and Consultation Lake.