Itinerary for ten day High Sierra Trail--thoughts?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Itinerary for ten day High Sierra Trail--thoughts?

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I have been to Whitney twice before staying at trail camp before and after summiting. For some reason I thought that camping was not allowed at Lone Pine Lake. that will be another option. On the other hand it can be interesting watching the parade coming down the switchbacks from trail camp. I think I'll leave that up to my cohorts. Thanks everybody :thumbsup:
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You should check to see if camping is allowed at Lone Pine Lake. I just ended up there because it was getting dark. I was not thinking if it was legal or not. And that was several years ago.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

WD wrote:
You should check to see if camping is allowed at Lone Pine Lake.
According to Inyo NF: "Camping near Lone Pine Lake requires a Mt. Whitney trail Overnight Permit."
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I had one of those, so I was legal. I actually did a in-and-back - side trip to Crabtree Lakes, Kern Keweah, Pants Pass, Precipice Lake, HST to Wallace Creek, side trip to Wallace Lake, side trip to Arctic Lake and back out. I did not climb Whitney since I had already done it several times (East Face, East Buttress, Mountaineers Route).

To me the transportation logistics for a one-way trip is almost harder than simply doing a yo-yo or off-trail loop. A friend of mine had the ultimate logistical nightmare. They spent an entire day dropping off a car at the Portal. A day driving back to the SEKI start. Did the trip. Drove back to pick up the car at Crescent Meadow only to find the car did not start. They had to be back at work so drove home. Went back down next weekend. Car had to be towed for repairs. Waited for repairs, then drove both cars home. Ugh!!!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Thanks you two. You are a great part of what makes this forum so good. Looks like Lone Pine Lake is out.

Just got the confirmation email from NPS. Enter on August 31 exit September 9
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

My hiking partners are taking s car around to the portal. And I think we will try to get my daughter to drive us up to SEKI from Sanger, but if not we will just drive up and get that car after the trip. My partners live in Selma so a transportation hiccup will not so bad. I'm up in Sonora now but the trip will end midweek and I don't have to be at work till Sunday morning so I'm sure we'll be ok.
Dozer
Topix Novice

Post by Dozer »

Hello, I'm new to the group and seeking information. We live in VT and will be heading out to do the High Sierra Trail in August. While we hike frequently in the east, this is our 1st Hike in the Sierra Nevada Mt's. So any insight would be helpful. Based on shuttle rides, etc., it looks like we will have an extra day or two that can be added to the hike. In the map that we got from the NPS (Tom Harrison Maps of Sequoia and Kings Canyon) there is a loop that looks to be about 14 miles and leaves the HST near junction meadow, through the upper kern river, over to lake south america and rejoins the JMT near Tyndall Creek. We would then take the JMT back to where it joins the HST and then out over Whitney to Whitney Portal. We are curious about this loop and wondering what the trail conditions/trail marking's are like or any other information that folks could provide. Thanks much - Dozer
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

I added the loop you suggest and it came to 17.3 trail miles. That's doable in a couple of days. I have never been up that way so someone else will have to fill you in on that.
We decided that instead of just putting trail miles on and getting glimpses of many great places, we would take our time and explore some areas in depth through some day hikes. Here is a summery of distances on the trail and our planned itinerary is highlighted. you will see that we have two 4 mile days so that we can spend time exploring Nine Lakes Basin and the Wallace Creek area. we also have a short day (6.3 miles) to Kern Hot Springs so that we have time to hang out there (If we find we like it)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dozer
Topix Novice

Post by Dozer »

Thank you MountainMinstrel for your insight. We hadn't thought about exploring the nine lakes region. That option might fit in as a day two camping spot. Perhaps a silly question, but, are there trails in this area or is it open/treeless hiking? Thanks!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

This mostly an area I have not been to, but it appears to be treeless and should be easy off trail navigation. There may be some use trails but I don't know for sure. All I know is that it was highly recommended by more than one person who's opinion I value greatly. I find nothing nicer than to get to camp early, set up camp, soak the feet for a bit and then head out with a daypack to see what's out there.