Permit for Golden Trout Lakes - use to go over kearsarge

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dbogey
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dbogey »

Quick question for everyone familiar with the permit system. Can I use this permit to cross over Kearsarge and go into Rae Lakes. I'm taking my daughter and the Kearsarge permits are not avail but Golden Trout is.
Just another day in paradise
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: Permit for Golden Trout Lakes - use to go over kearsarge

Post by markskor »

The permit "rules" state only that you start off walking from the exact trailhead designated on the permit and on the specified date written down.
Where you go afterwards - up to you. Plans often change mid trail.
Mountainman who swims with trout
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by jmherrell »

I don't think Inyo cares but I believe the Park Service does. I once did a trip from Devil's Postpile to Tuolumne Meadows via North Fork of the San Joaquin and the permit writer at Mammoth Lakes failed to show me entering Yosemite and exiting there. I was required to show my permit in Yosemite near Tuolumne Meadows just before exiting and the ranger was rather upset that the permit did not show me entering Yosemite and also exiting in the park. This was my original trip plan and I didn't bother to check the permit, just signed it and left.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I think that the more important thing is the "first nights camp" location. If you got checked on your first or maybe even second day anyplace along the Kearsarge trail you might get cited or at least turned around.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
dbogey
Topix Acquainted

Post by dbogey »

I called the permit office yesterday and they said specifically you cannot cross over Kearsarge pass on your way into the "wilderness" with a Golden Trout Permit. You can come out that way though. I checked the fine print on the reservation page also and it states the same thing. Since I was taking my daughter into Rae Lakes I was looking for permits online and Kearsarge had no permits available but Golden Trout had everyday available.

In the end we moved our trip a week later and I was able to snag two permits for later in August. She's heading to college and this will be our last "dad and daughter" time.

ImagePaigeDadMountWash-14 by DanBogey, on Flickr
Just another day in paradise
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

All permits are going to be issued with an entry and exit location. Only the entry is important and enforced because it maintains the trail head quotas. Where you go from there is largely unenforceable and of general less importance.

Golden Trout Wilderness at many trail heads has no quota so permits will always be available.

Also you very likely would have been fine just walking into the permit station and getting the permit either the day before entry or on the day.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

If they didn't care, why have a quota?

They do indeed care, quite a bit. And if an area shows a lot of impact they care enough to lower quotas. Case in point, Desolation Wilderness.

The most important thing is the entry trailhead quota, and starting on the day you said you would start. Where you spend the night is only pertinent if search and rescue becomes involved - knowing where you planned to be gives them a place to start.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I've had it pointed out to me when making picking up a permit that the first nights camp is very important. The point being that in places like Tuolumne Meadows it is a way to ensure that you don't hike a quarter mile down your permitted trail and then cut cross country to a different trail who's quota was filled.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

What AT said is right. I have been over this multiple times with rangers from all entities. I used to be that guy that would walk in with no plan or itenerary. All that really matters is the entrance date, and in some areas the exit date.

Try getting a permit for an area with no trailhead! Heh that took awhile

Now, when I am solo, I honestly have no problem bending the rules. When I am with others though I do things right. Just bite the bullet and either change your plans or bone up on your cross country and do dragon pass :whistle:
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

gary c. wrote:I've had it pointed out to me when making picking up a permit that the first nights camp is very important. The point being that in places like Tuolumne Meadows it is a way to ensure that you don't hike a quarter mile down your permitted trail and then cut cross country to a different trail who's quota was filled.
Yosemite wants you to be 2-4 miles from the trailhead and a mile from any road to camp, which is why they care about that first night. And you cannot sleep in your car in pull outs or at trailheads - another fine example of regs that pop up to address overuse. There would be campers along all the roads and campsites/fire rings to look at instead of scenery.

SEKI is not so far down that path, yet. But the demand is much less there.

You can't sleep just any where at Courtright Reservoir, but I remember when you could. More attempts to address overuse.