Question: High Sierra Camp loop, not using the camps

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Question: High Sierra Camp loop, not using the camps

Post by Scouter9 »

Usually, we plan and route all this stuff in January, in order that I may buy permits in February. Life got very much in the way this year... but the boys met tonight and I think we've come up with a plan that I can get a Wilderness Permit for:

Day One: March Creek to Glen Aulin
Day Two: Glen Aulin to upper Cathedral Lake
Day Three: Cathedral to Merced, via Echo Valley Trail
Day Four: Merced to Bernice Lake
Day Five: Bernice Lake to Lyell Canyon, Ansel Adams' Camp
Day Six: Lyell Canyon to Tuolumne Meadows

We'll fish upper Cathedral, Merced, Bernice and Lyell Creek and camp at least a mile from the established sites.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Looks good...but I assume you mean to start at Murphys Creek, not March Creek?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

Ha ha! Yes, Murphy. My screen view of the editor is messed up, with much of the text obstructed. So, I have to type by keys and don't see mos tof what I type until after it posts. I overlooked that. Ahhh, all those M's are pretty much the same, right?

To their credit, the fellas opted out of a route that had us descend to the Valley to camp there, dayhike things like Half Dome (I'll get them there, someday, as they deserve it) and take the bus back to Tuolumne. We'll cover some country I've never seen and some not for decades -- I always get so excited.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

do you already have permits in hand? and why the HSC loop? that's the most populated place on Yose earth. It'd be more fun to target places . Evelyn lake. Cathedral area. Not a fan of Glen Aulin as it's a pass through for me. Give the scouts a layover day every other friggn day. Plan it at a lake. Just a thought.

Russ
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I agree with russ. that area n. of Tioga Pass road is not as interesting as the area s. and there is not really any fishing on that portion of the trip unless tiny brookies tickle your fancy.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Scouter -
Looks like a fine plan - lots of Yosemite to be seen along those slated miles - could work - hope so. Just wondering though, is your Tuolumne TH permit reserved already? (Is that why you are starting out/ going to Glen Aulin?) Is this an offical, 50-mile-badge, scout trip?...or just a typical Sierra whimsy adventure?

Sigh, must be nice to be young, as a few of those days would be a bit long for these legs...those longer hiking days coincidentally would be your best mid-trip fishing days too...just sayin'. Plus, you had mentioned a few "zero" days to be included on route. Maybe missing something here but is your latest trip-plan for a week/7 days, or are those just your hiking days you listed? Looks like you have them scouts hiking every day.

Anyway, having spent an occasional day or two in Yosemite myself, just some random thoughts:
Why again are you going to Glen Aulin? If not just passing thru to longer trails continuing north, or at least down to view the 3 falls (which will be non-impressive this year)...why? I too think your trail time could be better spent elsewhere - additionally, maybe not so much hiking/ more fishing?

Suggest trying a different tact... - (Start/Stay Tuolumne BP - take free morning shuttle) starting your opus Sunrise, Cathedral, or Budd THs.
First trail night Upper Cathedral or one of the Sunrise Lakes, or?
Day 2 - Echo Valley trail to somewhere on Merced River on up - if Washburn great, if not Merced (BTW, Merced Lake is mostly a crowded bog - suggest camping along river ~ a mile before Merced Lake or at that one spot at the west end if not intending to stay at HSC - your only choices here.) but, still a long hiking day and not much fishing expected after.
Day 3 - Short day to Washburn - good fishing, (Plus you can visit one of the "Sacred Pools" just 1/4 mile above), nice beach too...a Nero day well deserved.
Day 4 - Bernice - lots of elevation to gain - would be not an easy day for me and still fish - thank god you are young as this lake is loaded with 8 - 12 inch Brookies...everybody will catch many fish - chucking lures!
Day 5 - Evelyn or Townsley or Ireland
Day 6 - Lyell Camp as before...and down/back to car in TM
Mountainman who swims with trout