Morgan Lake/Pine Creek? | High Sierra Topix  

Morgan Lake/Pine Creek?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Re: Morgan Lake/Pine Creek?

Postby gary c. » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:57 pm

frediver, I think that LLV is a great place to take kids for their first trip. I would have to look the miles up to be sure but I think that Chickenfoot Lake is a little further than 2mls. Here is a link to a TR that I took my 9yr old grandson on last July to Chickenfoot.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11999
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray

gary c.
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby frediver » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:10 am

Thanks for the link, it looks great.
Guess I will plan on a bear can.
What were the fire rules at the time?
frediver
Topix Regular

Postby RoguePhotonic » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:08 am

There are no fires in Little Lakes Valley. The trail head starts at 10,200 feet. As I recall it's one of the highest trail heads in the state.

As for taking a kid there it's a great place for that. The hiking is really easy and there are a ton of beautiful lakes to visit even within that short distance.

The down side is since it's so easy and beautiful there can be a ton of people.

The Gem Lakes are about 4 miles in and they are some of the furthest. A 7 year old should be able to handle that. Don't forget that 9 year old girl that hiked the whole PCT!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby DavePloessel » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:35 pm

Big Ed wrote:I had solitude from Pine Creek trailhead almost to Chickenfoot Lake. Side note, that's a bighorn sheep area, no dogs allowed. It is a very interesting area. I enjoyed not having the crowds, the trail was fairly crowded on the way out to Mosquito Flat trailhead.

No dogs allowed? The Ranger in bishop told me otherwise over the phone.... What's your source?

Reason I ask is I'm planning a trip where I can bring the pups this September...
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted

Postby RoguePhotonic » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:53 am

I've seen dogs roaming the trail In that area.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Previous

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping