Trip advice: Mammoth area, Fish Creek, September

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Pietro257
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip advice: Mammoth area, Fish Creek, September

Post by Pietro257 »

I need some advice about a loop trip I'm planning out of the Mammoth Lakes/Reds Meadow area through Fish Creek. My crew and I are very experienced backpackers. We're in good shape although we're getting long in the tooth.

I hiked along Fish Creek in 1975 (a detour on my John Muir Trail hike) and in 1980. I'd like to bathe in the hot springs there again.

Here's the basic outline of the trip:

1. Rainbow Falls trailhead in Reds Meadow to Fox Meadow (8.6 miles) or Iva Belle hot springs (12.1 miles)

2. Fox Meadow to Iva Belle hot springs (3.5 miles) or layover (0 miles)

3. Iva Belle hot springs to Purple Lake (9.7 miles)

4. Purple Lake to Mammoth Lakes trailhead (8 miles)

My questions:

1. Are the mileage estimates above accurate? I find different mileage listings on maps and websites.

2. Will water be an issue in any of these areas?

3. Which is the best route from Iva Belle hot springs to Purple Lake? From the springs, you can go north (to the Second Crossing) or go southeast to the Beetle Bug Lake junction.

4. Rather than exit at Mammoth Lakes trailhead, would it be better to take the JMT from Purple Lake back to Reds Meadow? Is this route easier or more scenic?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip advice: Mammoth area, Fish Creek, September

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The Duck Lake trial is more scenic than the PCT. I am not sure if the shuttle busses stop at the trailhead but you could walk to the George Lake trailhead if need be. The PCT would be more convenient and probably easier.
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

When in September? After the Reds Meadow shuttle stops it will be a pain to recover your car if you exit via Duck Pass.
However if the shuttles are still running then note the Duck Pass trailhead is a lot higher than Reds Meadow so most people do the loop the other way round.
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

Thanks for the info. My hiking dates are September 9 to 13. Does the shuttle run then? When does it stop running?

I thought to go to Fish Creek first because I kind of like the idea of walking downhill on the first day of a Sierra hike...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Pietro257 wrote:
Does the shuttle run then? When does it stop running?
According to their site:
REDS MEADOW SHUTTLE BUS
The mandatory Reds Meadow Shuttle is no longer operating for the 2014 season. During shuttle bus
operating season (June 14 to the Wednesday after labor Day), visitors not meeting one of the
exceptions must ride the shuttle bus.
Which means the 9th of September will be last day for the shuttle service in 2015.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org