Orland Bartholomew's 1929 High Odyssey

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Orland Bartholomew's 1929 High Odyssey

Post by BrianF »

Thanks for letting us know about this gem, after reading the beginning of this thread I have already purchased and read the book. Quite a story of an amazing adventure and quite a mountain man. Amazon has copies used form several vendors
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

PS - Does this cabin still exist? Has anyone here seen it?
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

BrianF wrote:I have already purchased and read the book.
What was your reaction when the book opened with his hike up Cottonwood creek on Xmas day 1928 & his desire to get above 10k with a major winter storm moving in? * It's so counter-intuitive, yet makes complete sense. If it was me, I would of course high-tail it out of there. But, if you're going to stay, then you need to get above the point where snow collects.

* Bart's experience from many years of trekking, trapping and exploring in the dead of winter led to him to conclude that 8-10k were the danger zones. Below 8k, you'd have relative warmth and a way out. Above 10k, while it was colder & windier, the snow tended to blow off and not accumulate. The gullies, ravines and valleys between 8-10k was where the major snow accumulations occurred. Not only could you possibly not move, but then there were ice falls and avalanches to contend with as the weather warmed back up above freezing. His 'hike' (he's actually skiing) down Mather and into the Palisades lake area is completely nuts.
dematson
Topix Novice

Post by dematson »

There was discussion about naming a spire in the Ritter Range after Orland Bartholomew about 11 years ago but I don't think anything ever came of it. If they can name a mountain peak after Amelia Earhart who was an aviator, why not Bartholomew? I have not received a reply to this email to the USGS yet.

Dear Folks,
Has a Sierra Nevada Peak/Spire been named after Orland Bartholomew? I was not able to find one in the search option. He is certainly deserving of having a peak named after him. His story was told by Gene Rose in “High Odyssey”. I understand one of the Minarets in the Ritter Range was suggested back in about 2004. Here is an article about him in the LA Times.
http://articles.latimes.com/2004/apr/24 ... /ed-bart24
Regards,
Dale Matson
dematson
Topix Novice

Post by dematson »

dematson wrote:There was discussion about naming a spire in the Ritter Range after Orland Bartholomew about 11 years ago but I don't think anything ever came of it. If they can name a mountain peak after Amelia Earhart who was an aviator, why not Bartholomew? I have not received a reply to this email to the USGS yet.

Dear Folks,
Has a Sierra Nevada Peak/Spire been named after Orland Bartholomew? I was not able to find one in the search option. He is certainly deserving of having a peak named after him. His story was told by Gene Rose in “High Odyssey”. I understand one of the Minarets in the Ritter Range was suggested back in about 2004. Here is an article about him in the LA Times.
http://articles.latimes.com/2004/apr/24 ... /ed-bart24
Regards,
Dale Matson
I nominated his name for a peak in the Sierra National Forest that it not in a designated wilderness area. We'll see if it is apporved.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Is there a petition format or other form to help your cause?
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Mr. Bartholomew's epic feat does seem to be lost to some, but for those of us who know about it, we are highly impressed by his legendary trip. His planning and resupply reminds me of something Doug Robinson said over a fire @ Tuttle after our winter High Sierra trail adventure last year. He mentioned that there were many hidden caches still out there in the Sierra and the effort some went to place them. The more I venture out in the winter each year, the more I appreciate the magnitude of his trip. Truly inspiring. It would be nice to have a peak named for this man.
dematson
Topix Novice

Post by dematson »

I just received a letter from the Board of Geographic Names approving my nomination of Orland Bartholomew for a named peak (Bartholomew Peak). I designated a peak south of Huntington Lake (8,916'). I contacted his son Phil in Oakhurst and told him the good news. This has been a two year process but worth the wait!
dematson
Topix Novice

Post by dematson »

Here is the link to my blog article about him that I updated to include the approval letter.
http://midsierramusing.blogspot.com/201 ... -1957.html
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

dematson wrote:Here is the link to my blog article about him that I updated to include the approval letter.
http://midsierramusing.blogspot.com/201 ... -1957.html
Good Job !!
Thanks for doing this.