Orland Bartholomew's 1929 High Odyssey

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Orland Bartholomew's 1929 High Odyssey

Post by Hobbes »

The subject of this book came up on the PCT winter thread, where a link was provided to the HST library with a complete description of the book:

http://highsierratopix.com/wp_test/item ... gene-rose/

Surprisingly, there are only two other brief references to this book in the HST archives:

search.php?keywords=+Orland+Bartholomew

So, I figured since I just finished blowing through it in two sittings, I would post up an anchor thread if any others would like to read & discuss. Other than the astounding accomplishment in its own right - which anyone reading will quickly tune in - here are a few general observations that I find interesting:

The traditional California north-south divide is evidenced in the book, with Tahoe & Yosemite influenced both by SF preservationists, including Muir, Adams & the Sierra club, but also SFW (Hetch Hetchy). South of Yosemite, LA exerts its influence not only on the east side with Mammoth and the headwaters of the DWP aqueduct, but also on the west side in the guise of the Big Creek project staged out of Fresno and driven by SoCal Edison and Huntington.

It is from Big Creek that Orland Bartholomew hails - working in various back country capacities like snow surveying - that incorporated his experience of the entire San Joaquin watershed. This last point is important, because back in the 20s, just like today, people tend to become very familiar with certain parts of the range, leaving other sections as practically mysteries.

Not to giveaway or spoil any parts of the book, but 'Bart' had never been south of Muir pass - the Kings watershed, nor had he been south of the King-Kern divide, the Kern watershed. So, other than laying down some caches along his proposed route during the preceding summer of 1928 - and almost always from the west side, Bart had never crossed the notorious high passes in this region, much less in winter!

Well, suffice it to say a lesser man (or women) would have probably turned around or hiked out. Problem was, once he was committed, there wasn't any way out, except forward. On a handful of occasions, he was very close to experiencing a high velocity life terminating event - including the first ever winter ascents of Whitney & Langley that even Norman Clyde had declined . Perhaps the most hairball situation, and the one that really made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, was this description of going over Harrison. Enjoy:

ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Orland Bartholomew's 1929 High Odyssey

Post by ERIC »

Hobbes wrote:
Surprisingly, there are only two other brief references to this book in the HST archives:

search.php?keywords=+Orland+Bartholomew

There are I think one or two more older threads. Search "Gene Rose" or "High Odyssey".
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

After reading those six pages I'm hooked. Heavy on dramatics but it would be hard not to be with the subject matter. Thanks Hobbes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

=D> :thumbsup: Besides the dramatic elements, the book really presents an excellent perspective on many issues that are still experienced today.

For instance, Bart & his friend placed eleven 33 gallon garbage cans filled with supplies at key strategic areas along the route during the summer of 1928. Throughout the entire adventure, not one single cache was disturbed by bears, marmots or other wild animals. Was this because the population levels were lower?

Secondly, like today, there are parts of the Sierra that are still very remote - below the Kings-Kern divide - and others that were busy even in winter: Mammoth. (Due to mining activity before the post-WWII ski boom.) So, while none of the caches were broken into by wild animals, guess which one was consumed, even though there was a note inside explaining its purpose & necessity? Due to that circumstance, Bart had to rush the final part of the trip through Yosemite.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

It's a fun read, not only for the journey itself but also for the backstory with his earlier life and stories of stream surveys and other trips into the backcountry in the twenties.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Those b/w photos are amazing considering they were taken with a Kodak of the day. The scenes both look familiar. The human influence (or lack of) in the backcountry back then is interesting; the bears hadn't learned about processed food yet, but leave it to the humans to pilfer his resupply.

The blue and white cover looks like it's from the 1987 or 1994 edition. The prices online seem to be all over the place. There is a 1994 3rd edition for $385 on Amazon (what?!) and a signed 1974 1st edition for only $40. I just ordered it on eBay:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

There is a 1994 3rd edition for $385 on Amazon
Check your public Library. Santa Barbara PL has one copy available.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

paul wrote:but also for the backstory with his earlier life
Here's another observation from the book that still resonates today: while Yosemite & SEKI were off-limits, the San Joaquin watershed was the red-headed step-child of the Sierra Nevada. No organized movement against building a dam like @ Hetch Hetchy for them. What, build an incredible
labyrinth of dams, spillways and powerhouse installations to generate hydro-electric power for the LA streetcar system? Why, go right ahead.

Secondly,like today, both Kings and Kern watersheds were remote enough that no re-supply options were available unless you hiked out (which he did to Independence & Bishop via Kearsarge & Bishop passes). However, when Bart got lonely past Muir pass, he was able to hike down to Florence (MTR) & Edison (VVR) to visit friends, drop off film and enjoy some communal meals.

PCT/JMT re-supply options haven't changed in almost 100 years.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I had a chance to visit with Dario one of the years he was stationed at Crabtree Meadow. We got into a discussion of favorite experiences in SeKi and I mentioned that I had stayed overnight on the island in the lake at the east end of Kaweah Basin. He managed to one-up me. Years earlier, he had found one of Bartholomew's unopened caches and the cocoa powder in it was still good decades later. He always carried a little of it to use on special occasions and he enjoyed a cup of Bartholomew's cocoa on that island.

It's been ten or fifteen years since I've read the book. It's time to read it again.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

sekihiker wrote:I had a chance to visit with Dario one of the years he was stationed at Crabtree Meadow. We got into a discussion of favorite experiences in SeKi and I mentioned that I had stayed overnight on the island in the lake at the east end of Kaweah Basin. He managed to one-up me. Years earlier, he had found one of Bartholomew's unopened caches and the cocoa powder in it was still good decades later. He always carried a little of it to use on special occasions and he enjoyed a cup of Bartholomew's cocoa on that island.

It's been ten or fifteen years since I've read the book. It's time to read it again.
Now that. Is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing!

By the way, for those of you who don't already know this, Gene Rose is a member of this forum and is a pretty good friend of mine as well as at least one or two other members on here (former reporter for the Fresno BEE). I pinged him about the existence of this thread. Hopefully he'll weigh in. His research and stories about Bart go beyond what's in the book.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix