T/R Durrwood Creek 2/14/2015

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

T/R Durrwood Creek 2/14/2015

Post by gary c. »

With the weather remaining so mild some friends and I decided to make our first trip of the season over the holiday weekend. We hiked the Rincon Trail from the Sherman Pass road to Durrwood Creek. We left Lancaster Saturday morning and drove straight to the trail. It is a difficult hike of 7mls of up and down and up and down some more and more again. If I remember correctly my buddy said that his GPS showed something like a 1,800ft gain and 1,500 descent just getting to camp.

This is from the trail heading north. Those are the needles in the background.

Thanks to the packers keeping a cache at the creek such as grills and cast iron skillets we decided to carry in some luxury items. We had steaks for dinner Saturday night and pancakes with butter/syrup for breakfast on Sunday. We spent the day Sunday doing a little exploring and lazing around. We just enjoyed the spring like day. We even saw a few mosquitos and had a few deer flies buzzing us in the afternoon. The daytime temps were in the 70's and the coldest it got was 33" Sunday night. There was another group that camped down stream from us but they were the only people we saw. Durrwood Creek is a very pretty little creek and I would hike there again. I saw a lot of little wild trout that would be fun in season.

Looking up towards the head waters of Durrwood Creek.

Beautiful little waterfall we found.

My friend Vince giving a little perspective for size of the fall.

"The Needles"

It was a great way to spend a long weekend in February.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Re: T/R Durrwood Creek 2/14/2015

Post by RichardCullip »

Very nice. I love that part of the Southern Sierra. Nice to see some water running in the tributaries of the Kern.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
dougieb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dougieb »

Looks like a refreshing trip. Kudos on the steak and pancakes, that's my kind of trip! That waterfall you showed looked like it was 3 feet tall until your friend stood next to it. I'll have to make it out to that region some time. Thanks for sharing!
ofuros
Topix Acquainted

Post by ofuros »

Some fine scenery there...enjoyed. :thumbsup:
Out 'n about....looking for trout.
https://ofuros.exposure.co/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;