Recommendation for Sierra High Route Section

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cunningkeith
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Recommendation for Sierra High Route Section

Post by cunningkeith »

JWreno wrote:Not intending to hijack but I just found out my wife doesn't have to sake summer classes. I am thinking SHR from North Lake to going out over McGee Pass would be a good trip for enjoying so gorgeous country with fewer hikers.
Don't worry about hijacking. I'm guessing there's plenty of room out there for all of us!

I'm glad that it sounds like this route is in the ballpark of what I was hoping for (beauty, remote, not too many miles/day).

I'm still mulling over starting at Lamarck or Piute. In addition to being easier, another advantage to Piute is we could use a Ursack for food storage (b/c we'd be exclusively in Inyo, I believe) rather than the heavier bear cans. But based on reading previous threads, I know people have strong opinions on this one. :)

Thanks again for all the tips.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

I added up about 30 some SHR miles between Piute Pass trail and the trail leading to McGee pass. I plan to do start this trip on a Saturday and come out on the following Saturday or Sunday. I read through the chapters in the Roper book and it looks doable. I figure about 6-7 off trail miles a day which will include extra route finding overhead. I have only been on the Piute Pass to North Lake section so there will be about 45 new trip miles for me. I picked Piute for the easiest access to off trail high country. There appears to be plenty of lakes for access to water and it will be a nice quiet change to the JMT crowds. Can't pick a date yet because I have a brother in Michigan who hasn't picked a summer wedding date yet. Earliest would be last weekend in July but this is a very dry winter so snow and ice travel should be minimal.
Jeff
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Ska-T »

JWreno wrote:... it will be a nice quiet change to the JMT crowds.
Compared to the JMT crowds, yes. However, the section of the SHR you're talking about hiking isn't all that solitary. I was surprised by how much company I had. Humphreys Basin, Bear Lakes Basin, and the lakes near Fish Creek are all popular areas. Of your intended route, I ran into the fewest people from Gabbot Pass to Bighorn Pass.

Sekihiker earlier suggested that the first section of the SHR, from Cedar Grove/Roads End to Dusy Basin, was scenic. I agree and add the observation that it also afforded a large degree of solitude. The only crowed section was the few miles of JMT from Mather Pass to Palisade Lakes.

-Scott
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

With my 1 week off time contract I am happy to have a section that gets to the high country quicker and has easier car shuttle logistics. If I see some people, that is fine but I am sure it won't be the several people per hour that the JMT brings.
Jeff
cunningkeith
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cunningkeith »

cunningkeith wrote:another advantage to Piute is we could use a Ursack for food storage (b/c we'd be exclusively in Inyo, I believe) rather than the heavier bear cans
I'm going to have to correct myself on this: I guess bear cans are not actually required in the northern-most section of Kings Canyon either. I thought it was the whole park.

http://sierrawild.gov/bears/food-storage-map

Still, it seems like at least a Ursack would be a good idea.
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

I plan to take 2 Expeditions and a Weekender for myself, son and wife. My wife gets the smaller one. They are useful for bear can sponge baths, laundry and chairs. The bear cans allow us to snag a bunch of water and carry it far away from the stream or lake for cleaning up. I like getting rid of the sweet before putting on my warm gear for the evening. We will have plenty of space but plan to add a few bonus items. We have not cooked since about 2005 so it will be a little fun cooking dinners on this trip. We have a good collection of basic recipes using home dried hamburger or home dried white chicken in broth. Stuff like spaghetti leather and burger gravel, burger stroganoff, chicken based soap stuff over brown rice. Haven't had a commercial freeze dried meal in over a decade.
Jeff