Agnew to TI

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jornellas
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Agnew to TI

Post by jornellas »

Was not able to get a permit for my planned TM to Valley trip but was able to get a permit out of Agnew to TM...

Wondering if I could get some recommendations for a 4 night 4 day trip. First day will drive into Mammoth pick up permit and drive on to TM for the night, catching shuttles back first thing to start.

Would like if anyone has camp recommendations, also will have my DSLR as well as my fishing pole. If anyone has fishing recommendations I would appreciate a PM:). Have searched and most of what I can find is out of TM to Agnew, and or longer trips... Have done Ediza / TI loop in the past and love the area.

Thanks!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Agnew to TI

Post by oldranger »

Garnet, 1000 Island then over Donahue and as far as you can. Layover at either Garnet or 1000 Island, both great scenery and I have caught fish to 14 in both. At both lakes make sure you get far off Muir trail to avoid crowds and bears of course with a canister you really don't have to worry about bears.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Many trail options here depending (and since you have done the Ediza area)...

Suggest River Trail - easiest/shortest way to Garnet from AM...if a late start, camp along San Joaquin just before that last 1000 feet of up before Garnet but...
Shadow - Laura - Altha - Garnet route works too... High Trail scenic but no fishing - whatever.

At Garnet outlet, follow east shoreline - nice camps/fishing south end backside and then X-country over backside hump to 1000 Island (see TOPO) - also easy - and avoids the north-side, trail crowds/bears/no camping/etc...from there, follow small stream west-side TI straight up to Island Pass - pick up main trail again.

Lower Davis (amazing wildflowers) makes a nice & easy night's diversion but smaller Brooks... Upper a bit better but still spotty fishing.

Marie Lakes is a bit of a slog but lots better fishing - Upper can be windy but :nod: ... 'nuff said there.

Avoid Waugh, as it is a fishless bog.

Green tarn just over Donahue is a magic camp, and Twin Bridges, (2 miles further down) is the last water/camp till the Lyell Canyon flats below, and TM, ~ eight miles still distant.

BTW, a few more days would give you a better fishing trip as being lakeside for the evening rise always the preferred plan.
Mountainman who swims with trout
jornellas
Topix Acquainted

Post by jornellas »

Thanks guys!

Markskor, would love to get a few extra days but work work work and a 3 year old won't allow it...

Would like to have a fire in camp, noticed on regulation map that upper davis is allowed. Do you know if Green tarn is below 10K?
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

jornellas wrote: Would like to have a fire in camp, noticed on regulation map that upper davis is allowed. Do you know if Green tarn is below 10K?
Not sure about the elevation, but my guess is >10K. Also, in a dry year, no fires allowed regardless of elevation.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

J

You have to get down almost to Twin Bridges before fires are legal--9600 feet.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
jornellas
Topix Acquainted

Post by jornellas »

Totally makes sense, guess having a fire in such a dry year wouldn't be a good idea to begin with..... Time to break out the good ol' Apollo lantern.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Or just let it get dark and enjoy the stars....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

I don't like abbreviations, makes perfect sense to the author. I find myself reading through trying to figure out what TI is.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Big ED

I think it is a typo as the text refers to agnew to Tuolumne Meadows.

Mike
Mike