Backpacking To Eagle Peak?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

After a few 'warm up' backpacking trips, I plan on doing a trip up to Eagle Peak and camping there. My question is, do you need a wilderness permit to do so? I know all overnight wilderness trips in Yosemite require permits, but is Eagle Peak considered "wilderness?" Or is that referring to things like Little Yosemite Valley, etc?

If I need a permit, what exactly would be the option? Tamarack Creek to Eagle Peak?

Noobie needs help :lol:

Thanks
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking To Eagle Peak?

Post by RoguePhotonic »

You will need a permit most times of the year but I don't know if you need one in the winter or not.

Most of Yosemite not too far off of any roads is considered wilderness. There is only places like the valley that is non wilderness.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

you need a permit in winter. can go to the visitor center in yosemite Village and the Ranger will issue one to you. there are no trailhead quotas until May. you will also need a bear can since in winter the bears are not truly hibernating. Some of the bears in Yosemite around the valley are active all year.

If you are planning to hike from a trailhead on Tioga, that won't work. Tioga Road is gated at Tuolumne Grove. your starting trailhead will have to be Upper Yosemite Falls. I hope you are up for a lot of up, up, up. above the rim, it will be patchy snow and ice. Micro spikes and a willingness to post hole in places necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Thanks for the information. I don't plan on doing it now, maybe later in the year when Tioga is open to start from Tamarack Flat. That is an option correct? I've always wanted to hike to El Capitan so I figured I might do a trip that can involve both of them. Any suggestions on that?

I have a bear can so we are good to go on that. I was talking to a Ranger yesterday about Bears (don't know why I didn't think of my Eagle Peak question then ](*,) ) and they told me besides the pregnant ones, none of them truly hibernate like we think. Funny though, I've NEVER seen one in the Valley like a lot of people, all have been up on the 120.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I spent a couple of nights at Eagle Peak in late May 2005. I took the Yosemite Creek trail from Tioga Road (the campground road was still closed). The trail crosses Yosemite Creek and the wade across can be a little dicey that time of year. It might be better to bushwhack along the creek the 1/4 mile to the campground and use the auto bridge there. The rules state you must camp a 1/4 mile from the Valley rim, but exactly what constitutes the rim is vague. I'd ask a ranger when you get the permit to clarify this. El Capitan is an easy walk from Eagle Peak. The views of Yosemite Valley and the surrounding high country from the top of Eagle Peak are fabulous, one of the best views anywhere in the Sierra. If you to in May prepare for all kinds of weather. It snowed on the day I hiked back so there was a pretty 4 inch high layer covering the roof of my car.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Is it possible to do any backpacking on Tioga Road right now being it's closed? I'm not saying to literally camp on Tioga Road, but rather use it to walk, then go a mile off the road from wherever location (assuming you know where)? Or is that not allowed being the road is closed?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Most people ski the road in winter. The campground office in Tuolumne meadows becomes a cache for winter wilderness traveler and the rangers who winter up there.

given the drought, it might be walking for a while on the road, but there will be ice and eventually snow. you have to be more than a mile from the road/2 miles from the trailhead to camp - some trailheads it's a 4 mile restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

InsaneBoost wrote:Is it possible to do any backpacking on Tioga Road right now being it's closed? I'm not saying to literally camp on Tioga Road, but rather use it to walk, then go a mile off the road from wherever location (assuming you know where)? Or is that not allowed being the road is closed?
Check this out from the TM winter ranger
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php ... #msg-78372
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I did a north rim trip last april starting from the falls trail. While starting from tamarack is ideal doing the trip at the time I did was absolutely awesome. I went up to eagle peak on the first day intending to camp there but I don't remember why exactly but I ended up back at yosemite creek to camp.
QITNL
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by QITNL »

There are some nice developed sites near the next fork of Eagle Creek on the way to El Cap. Good views, close to water and such.

Back when we had winter, there was some useful information on the Winter Trails maps here:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/brochures.htm
Camping restrictions in the fine print.