Hiker Heaven closing

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Hiker Heaven closing

Post by Hobbes »

More fallout from the increasing popularity of the PCT is the closing of Hiker Heaven. The Saufley's have been hosting PCT hikers for the last 18 years, but are closing due to conflicts, family needs and ever increasing numbers of hikers. Hiker Heaven was considered by many as a trail angel institution, a re-supply and rest stop that was one of the highlights of the trip.

Donna L-Rod Saufley's FB post:

This is a sad day for Hiker Heaven. It has come to our attention from a respected source that our existence as trail hosts
is causing a bottleneck on the trail, and problems for hosts and towns upstream of us. This is something that we take quite
seriously, especially in light of the ever-growing popularity of the trail and increasing numbers. We have always sought to be
part of a solution, not cause anyone a problem of any kind. We tried as much as possible through every means to not impact
others, only asking the same in return, but alas. We regretfully announce that Hiker Heaven is henceforth closed and will no
longer host hikers (except for Trauma and Pepper who I already told okay).

A lot of people have gone to a lot of effort to make this place run (more on that later), and I really can't ask them to continue if it contributes to issues on the trail. That would be against my principles, without which I am not who I am. I know that Jeff and my family will find this decision to be a great relief, and I look forward to spending the time instead with my new grandson, horses, and bikes. It's been a grand 18 years, and changed my life. I thank you all for the gift of your friendship, and letting us be a part of your adventure. I will be taking our website down, and recommend hikers send their boxes to Acton Post Office, which is where I will forward any boxes received. You can camp at the Acton KOA ($15 per night). Wishing you all the best.

As to what happened, I'm not going there except only to say that I am thoroughly disgusted with a certain trail queen... :-/
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiker Heaven closing

Post by LMBSGV »

This is sad news. In the Tell It One the Mountain DVD (watch the separate interview with them in the "Extras" along with the movie) the Saufley's come off as amazing, genuine people who help make the world a better place.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

Sad news.
toejam
Topix Acquainted

Post by toejam »

This is such a weird story with so much not being said. The Saufleys were doing such a great job they became part of the problem? Doesn't make sense. Good luck to them in their future endeavors.