SEKI and John Muir Loop Advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SEKI and John Muir Loop Advice

Post by AlmostThere »

Yeah, that store is pretty pitiful for backpacking needs. Having someone meet me at the trailhead parking area with a pre-selected resupply would be my choice. That way it could include stove fuel and backpacking meals. A beer and some chips would be cool for chugging at the lot while talking to my friend, tho.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I hear you big....but the amenities at Taboose are slim :lol:
Is there anything I might be missing along the way? - See more at: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12250#sthash.rj6dV6gX.dpuf
yeah I dont see a heinous bushwack planned :paranoid:
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

sparky wrote:I hear you big....but the amenities at Taboose are slim :lol:
Yeah, you could get enough food for the next leg of your trip. I walked around the store with that in mind, if you weren't picky, you could make it happen. I washed my clothes and took a shower in the facility behind the store too, had to do two loads, or stand there naked. For me it was worth going the extra distance from the trailhead, after 9 days I was pretty dirty. Roads end is 5,000 ft, Cedar Grove is about 4,700 ft, but the drop is more gradual than the East side trails.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

oh haha yeah....not roads end cedar grove....my bad :confused:
dougieb
Topix Regular

Post by dougieb »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm going over the route with my girlfriend and I'm hoping it is something we can do together. Her knee isn't the best and I don't want to put her at risk or put the trip at risk with so much time and planning involved. This might wind up being a solo trip! I think I might be able to resupply near Kearsarge by meeting up with friends on the trail which sounds preferable to hiring someone. Aside from the cost issue, I just don't think I could time myself well enough to meet up with a pack train on the trail anyways... The trip is still a ways away but I'm having fun scheming and you've all been helpful in the process.

PS with so little precipitation so far this winter I wonder if this will be an early year for high sierra trips. :unibrow:
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

dougieb wrote: PS with so little precipitation so far this winter I wonder if this will be an early year for high sierra trips. :unibrow:
It's not looking good for snowpack, but it is still early. We have had years the mountains got hammered with snow in the spring.
dougieb
Topix Regular

Post by dougieb »

Well for the sake of the state I do hope we get some decent precipitation and snowpack. I want to be clear, this whole drought business isn't a positive thing. However if the winter continues like this, you better believe I'm going to take advantage! :p