Preliminary thread for Dec 16-17 in Death Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ranboze
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ranboze »

Great ideas Trekker. About communications... since cell service is totally unreliable in area, we might want to consider the communication devices everyone has, eg, FRS, GMRS, CB, ham. I guess that most folks have an FRS radio. Subchannels really aren't good to use, because if you get into trouble, ONLY people on the subchannel can hear you (or is it only people on the subchannel can talk to you?). Anyway, it's better to stay with a main channel, eg channel 7. Perhaps we could pick a device and pick a channel that at least those with the device can monitor during arrival time as well as hiking (of course no CBs while hiking ;-) )

My devices:
FRS to channel 20
CB
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Sorry to take so long to respond - was out playing after work. Saturday I have a hike out IWV but was considering driving over to Emmigrant on Sunday to do some reconoitering. I can check out the situation of the campsites at that time and report back on Monday. including how crowded the campsites are, etc. If Emmigrant looks like it might be full up or something - there are other options in the area. We should all be prepared for "dry camp" conditions.

I think we should bring radios for people arriving at odd times to contact - no cell service except poss on the peaks. Last weeks trip we used 10sub 10 and were able to stay in contact fine. But we can all agree on a frequency - that is small issue.

When I did Pinto from Townes Pass - my total track line shows just over 8 miles round trip. It appears to be about the same mileage when I plot from the road just near the springs where I had intended to hike from. I will verify this on after Sunday - as I was intending to come down Jayhawker Canyon - that may involve leaving a pickup vehicle - we can discuss that more.

Also Snowy and I have discussed maybe a secondary hike for those who don't want to hike as long. Wildrose is a easy hike from the Kilns - Jayhawker canyon may be fun if you don't need to bag a peak.

As for weather I would prepare for nights dipping down into low 30's - will continue to watch the forecasts. if you go to this sight for weather:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/ ... -117.38125
you can move the pointer and it will update the forecast for that lat/long position.

feel free to e-mail me for specifics including if you would like any tracks, maps, or waypoints.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
wingding

Post by wingding »

From the Death Valley National Park Site:

Emigrant Campround

Open All Year

Located at 2,100 feet, Emigrant is designated for Tents Only and has 10 sites with water, tables, and flush toilets. No fires are allowed. Emigrant is a free campground.

I was suprised to read that fires aren't allowed.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

NO FIRES??? That sucks! Can we think of someplace else that we can have a fire at?? (In an enclosed metal container, of course.) ;)
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Wildrose CG has firepits, I think
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

i am sure we can find somewhere to camp where we can make a firepit - if wildrose - can start from the pass to do pinto - that route i already have dialed in - and others can do wildrose peak
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Is Wildrose campground where we were the night after we did Telescope? Sorry, not impressed with that campground at all, and, if it's anywhere close to as windy as it was when we were there in May, that won't be an enjoyable experience. Plus, at 4100 ft. it would be pretty cold. I don't think the first night will be that big of a deal, but I agree that I'd like to have a campfire the second night. I'd much rather camp at Stovepipe Wells, even with more people around. It'll be warmer, better toilets, etc. I would be up for moving the second night over there, if we spend first night at Emigrant. I want to be able to sit around and chat without freezing or wondering if my tent is going to take flight! That's my :twocents:
wingding

Post by wingding »

toilets?? but i like using my orange shovel :)
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

no, that was Mahogany Flats. Wildrose CG is a lot lower in elevation, the one before the charcoal kilns.

I got a wagbag! Nothing worse than going to the bathroom and coming back smelling like it. :puke:

Wildrose would be better, no RVs!

oh yeah, they have restrooms, so you'll be ok. Still haven't gotten rid of the Matlock problem???? :unibrow: :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

hahahahaaaaa! We might not see him the whole trip!

j/k . Trekker!