Off-Trail Overnight Trips | High Sierra Topix  

Off-Trail Overnight Trips

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Re: Off-Trail Overnight Trips

Postby TehipiteTom » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:12 pm

My experience with Cherry Creek main fork is mostly in May (it's a good early-season trip), and I wouldn't even think about crossing. That time of year it impresses and terrifies with its sheer volume and power.

TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby rlown » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:14 pm

I was impressed. I'll leave it at that.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby BrianF » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:25 am

Last year I was in the same boat with only weekends available. In the middle of July I did an overnight to Tyee lakes in the Bishop creek area. I only saw a couple of dayhikers and one group backpacking out as I was hiking in. Had the 3rd lake to myself and no one was at the 4th lake either, both of which are beautiful. Took a great dayhike from there up to Table Mountain, which is a large plateau to wonder around with great views of the surrounding ranges. I was surpised to find it so empty given the popularity of the rest of the trailheads in that area.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
BrianF
Topix Regular

Postby SSSdave » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:56 am

BrianF wrote:Last year I was in the same boat with only weekends available. In the middle of July I did an overnight to Tyee lakes in the Bishop creek area. I only saw a couple of dayhikers and one group backpacking out as I was hiking in. Had the 3rd lake to myself and no one was at the 4th lake either, both of which are beautiful. Took a great dayhike from there up to Table Mountain, which is a large plateau to wonder around with great views of the surrounding ranges. I was surpised to find it so empty given the popularity of the rest of the trailheads in that area.

Tom as noted would be coming out of SF so anything beyond Tioga Pass not worth the long drives but for SoCal folks zipping up US395 a good choice. That noted, amused with your comment on Table Mountain. I'm one of the few that has backpacked up there which is mostly all quite high above 11k and have mentioned the area before on this board. Very pristine as no lakes, no fishing, thus very very few visitors haha. The southwest end of the plateau has spectacular sky high views of the crest with whimsical fairyland-like rounded eroded granite forms amongst granite sands one finds in the Peabody Bouldering area or Alabama Hills.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.19027,-118.58973&z=15&t=T
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic

Experience: N/A

Previous

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping