New Yosemite JMT Permit Rules?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: New Yosemite JMT Permit Rules?

Post by tim »

RichardCullip wrote:
tim wrote:Interesting that there's no link to finishing south of Reds Meadow. So that takes a southbound Tuolumne to Mammoth hike off the table. I guess the logic is that you can always do it in the opposite direction?
From my understanding, the reservation form ( http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/u ... itform.pdf ) allows a Lyell Canyon Entry Trailhead and a Red's Meadow or Devil's Postpile Exit Trailhead. However, you will be competing for the limited number of Lyell Canyon trailhead permits (15 reserved, 10 walkup) that allow a Donohue Pass exit from Yosemite National Park.
I understand. But the original suggestion was that the exit quota would only apply to (JMT) hikers going beyond Reds Meadow. Now Tuolumne to Mammoth hikers must compete for exit quota slots as well. I expect the YNP calculation is that a hiker going the opposite way is unlikely to camp in Lyell Canyon but will instead cross Donohue and be inspired by the downhill hiking/thought of real food to get all the way to Tuolumne that same day.
toejam
Topix Acquainted

Post by toejam »

The NPS people just love rules. Seems to me all the crazy rules are causing a backlash of bad behavior when people who don't know what they are doing in the first place find themselves in violation and decide to do something really stupid. From the facebook JMT page, it sounds like hundreds of people who don't even own backpacks are clogging the fax lines for permits.

I'm of the opinion that if there were no advance reserved permits, there would be a lot less people who actually show up ready to hike the trail. I also think there would be less damage to the wilderness if less resources went to permitting and more went to rangers in the field. This is not a very evolved view, but I started backpacking in Colorado where I never needed permits and people weren't so ready to tell me how to behave and feel.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I have to feel a bit sorry for the rangers here. On the one hand, we complain about the traffic and crowds on the JMT, and on the other hand we dislike the rules and regulations that seem antithetical to the wilderness experience. I can only imagine what those folks go through on a busy holiday weekend with 250 people wanting permits for the same three trailheads....

For years our solution has been to take the trail less traveled: looking for less popular trailheads, cross-country routes, and destinations that haven't been featured in a major magazine or a film. It works pretty well, frankly. And we've never found the wilderness rangers anything but helpful, supportive and nice.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Just got off the phone with Ed Dunlavey, Wilderness Manager, Yosemite National Park...(The one where the buck eventually stops at.)
I had sent him my response (above) and he told me the following:

1) Nothing yet is absolute policy concerning JMT (and other) quotas inside the park...He agrees that something has to be done for the good of the JMTers as well as all others but as to what? They are still kicking ideas around but nothing is firm yet. Stay tuned? Things can still change.
2) They expect filling 4,000+ JMT SOBO applicant permits this season starting at Yosemite's 3 THs - GP, HI, and TM.
3) He is actively in contact with all concerned...all the major JMT groups as well as other relevant blogs like us.
4) He did not volunteer for this undertaking - sort of dumped on him actually, but feels he is in the best informed position/most qualified to make fair decisions that protects the park's access...does sound genuinely concerned.
5) There is no good decision made so far...There is still room/time for your comments.

ed_dunlavey@nps.gov
Mountainman who swims with trout
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

I understand that permits from Whitney Portal are hard to get. Cottonwood pass permits are very easy to get. 3 different times I got permits within 2 weeks of departure from there. I wouldn't want to hike up from Whitney portal with 10 days of food. I would rather start at 10,000 feet at Horseshoe Meadows after car camping at that elevation the first night. I start the JMT by day hiking Whitney from Crabtree meadows on the 3rd day of the trip. We take 11 days from Horseshoe Meadows to get to resupply at MTR. This includes the two nights at Crabtree Meadows and Whitney day hike.

I have taking a brother and nephew who live in Indiana and Ohio and had them on top of Whitney with no acclamation issues. First night camped at Horseshoe Meadows before hike. 2nd night Rock Creek, 3rd night Crabtree Meadows. This gave them plenty of time to acclimate.
Jeff
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

markskor wrote:Instead of telling JMT hikers to avoid main "bottleneck" zones (Sunrise area and Lyell Canyon), suggest herding the Muir hikers together while in the park. It's a freeway trail anyway. Introduce two large campsites - one near Sunrise HSC and another at Twin Bridges (half way up Donahue) - and station backcountry rangers.
Mark, that's a great idea, and most likely the end result of this process. However, it's a mental hurdle for YNP to accept that TM has become the Valley. Denial, reconciliation, anger, grief, acceptance. Recall the initial attempts to control the Valley were aimed at limiting access. Now, they put rangers on roads to direct traffic jams and no longer try and fight the Times Square atmosphere.

The first reaction of any authority is control, with the resulting inevitable public backlash. If YNP wanted to help alleviate some of the traffic coming from the west, they could resurrect/build a trail on the other side of Lyell creek (or over Kuna crest) and route that from the Tioga pass gate (Dana meadows). Sure, everyone would eventually meet @ Twin Bridges, but that's what the designated campground would be for.

Eventually they will have a designated Muir hiker campsite @ Twin Bridges, and people will wonder why they hadn't done it before. In time, it will become a social environment, where newbies can mingle with others double-checking equipment, confer with rangers, re-charge their iDevices and consider with amazement those hearty old-timers who used to venture alone into the great unknown without any support. LOL :crybaby:
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

toejam wrote:The NPS people just love rules. Seems to me all the crazy rules are causing a backlash of bad behavior when people who don't know what they are doing in the first place find themselves in violation and decide to do something really stupid.
Or, from their side of the process, they hate disorder, dealing with hundreds of screaming people on the phone, marauding bears taking advantage of the crazies and the idiots, and fighting forest fires.

I've been in line behind the screaming people in the wilderness office, and I for one am grateful the rangers are there to keep these idiots in check. I wish sometimes that there was a test these jerks could fail to keep them out of the wilderness before they light it on fire or create more habituated animals.
HiSierra
Topix Novice

Post by HiSierra »

Did the latest news get updated on this thread? I've been away. The 45 person exit quota starts today.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/jmtfaq.htm

I see lots of good discussion about this. There is a high sierra camp already at Sunrise, but its a bit off the JMT. Making 2 new big wilderness campgrounds? Hummmm, that's going to get some serious pushback from the purists. But it should be on the table for the YNP Wilderness Plan Update, that's for sure. I see a lot of concurrence with staffing more backcountry Rangers. Trained volunteers with radio contact to Rangers might also help improve coverage, accountability, and compliance. Just have to make sure they don't put a bunch of Barney Fife wannabes out there.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

balzaccom wrote: For years our solution has been to take the trail less traveled: looking for less popular trailheads, cross-country routes, and destinations that haven't been featured in a major magazine or a film. It works pretty well, frankly. And we've never found the wilderness rangers anything but helpful, supportive and nice.
Amen to that. Take the trail less traveled. I have about 70 miles of the JMT in the Yosemite area that I have not done, and I have not bothered for 10 years to even try considering the hassle to complete it. Perhaps some day, if do it from the south or north, or do the PCT, otherwise, "on the JMT, I will not stay and choose other vacant areas where there is plenty of room to play!" :D