New member, new backpacker

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
socal_brian
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: New member, new backpacker

Post by socal_brian »

KathyW, I've looked at your trip report and pictures online and that was one of the things that convinced me that I wanted to try this trip. Can't wait to explore that area!
I'll definitely keep an eye out for the use trail that climbs the gully at the end of the lake, thanks
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: New member, new backpacker

Post by oleander »

I went 1.5 years ago. The use trail to the gully was not obvious at all - it petered out halfway around Lower Soldier Lake. The gully is across the lake, just to the left/west of the mountain. The gully rises diagonally to the right, to a few stunted trees that are about halfway up. Shortly after the trees, the gully turns left, to top out at the low point where the flank of the mountain hits the ridge. Towards the top of the gully, there are a couple of moves that someone new to cross-country might find steep-ish; but it is not in any way loose or exposed. And yes, once at the top of the gully - once you've caught your breathe from the suddenly outstanding view into the Miter Basin - your hike is a flat-ish cakewalk.

- Elizabeth