Favorite trailhead

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Favorite trailhead

Post by Big Ed »

TehipiteTom wrote:
Big Ed wrote:
TehipiteTom wrote: the Dinkey Lakes trailhead is one I will not do again. The condition of the "road" is just too horrible, and there are too many places where anyone with a normal vehicle risks major damage.
It never occurred to me that anyone would get their vehicle damaged on that road, so I would think you were driving too fast for conditions. I see cars at that trailhead every time I go there. Drive the road accordingly, and don't expect to be able to drive it like a highway, and you should be fine.
Um...no. I wasn't.

(Though there are some nasty surprise potholes--pot-trenches?--in the first mile or so, where the initially good pavement goes suddenly terrible, and I imagine some folks run into trouble there.)

I'm talking about the last couple miles in particular, where the road deteriorates pretty significantly and there are a couple big outcrops that take some maneuvering to avoid. Maybe someone with a high-clearance vehicle wouldn't worry about that, but I'm talking normal vehicles like my Honda Fit.
Do you go in from Dinkey Creek road, or HWY 168 Tamarack Ridge?
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Big Ed wrote:
TehipiteTom wrote:
Big Ed wrote:
TehipiteTom wrote: the Dinkey Lakes trailhead is one I will not do again. The condition of the "road" is just too horrible, and there are too many places where anyone with a normal vehicle risks major damage.
It never occurred to me that anyone would get their vehicle damaged on that road, so I would think you were driving too fast for conditions. I see cars at that trailhead every time I go there. Drive the road accordingly, and don't expect to be able to drive it like a highway, and you should be fine.
Um...no. I wasn't.

(Though there are some nasty surprise potholes--pot-trenches?--in the first mile or so, where the initially good pavement goes suddenly terrible, and I imagine some folks run into trouble there.)

I'm talking about the last couple miles in particular, where the road deteriorates pretty significantly and there are a couple big outcrops that take some maneuvering to avoid. Maybe someone with a high-clearance vehicle wouldn't worry about that, but I'm talking normal vehicles like my Honda Fit.
Dinkey Creek.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Tom doesn't drive fast. I followed him to Quartz TH i think it was. So it's not just Dinkey. I hit one of the trenches in the shade on the way out from quartz in my "abnormal" ride. still tested the front suspension. No damage but it isn't fun.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

TehipiteTom wrote:
Dinkey Creek.[/quote]

Doesn't matter - the last couple miles are the same either route. I actually like Tamarack better than dodging the bathtub potholes.

We got up it in a Forester ok. I've seen Mini Coopers, BMWs, Corollas, Civics and all kinds of cars up there - but no idea how many of those needed repair after....
Big Ed
Topix Regular

Post by Big Ed »

I think it's been a few years since I went in from Dinkey, I prefer Tamarack. I know the last couple miles are the same, someone mentioned pot holes in the first couple miles, that's why I asked.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Its been a long time since I have been to Dinky Lakes, and if it were not for some pictures, I would have few memories, though some stand out. What I do remember vividly was driving that road, very close to the TH parking lot, and bouncing hard into a shaded surprise trench. It was a good thing I was driving a 4Runner. Anything less than a high clearance vehicle would have bottomed out or worse. I would have thought the situation would have improved by now. Drive carefully out there.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:Its been a long time since I have been to Dinky Lakes, and if it were not for some pictures, I would have few memories, though some stand out. What I do remember vividly was driving that road, very close to the TH parking lot, and bouncing hard into a shaded surprise trench. It was a good thing I was driving a 4Runner. Anything less than a high clearance vehicle would have bottomed out or worse. I would have thought the situation would have improved by now. Drive carefully out there.
Yeah, that rings a bell. IIRC there were also one or two rocks that might not be daunting to a 4Runner, but definitely gave me paus. The stretch closest to the trailhead is the worst.

The other thing about Dinkey Lakes is that while it's pretty enough, for me it's not enough of a prime destination to be worth the pain-in-the-neck road to the trailhead.
Big Ed
Topix Regular

Post by Big Ed »

TehipiteTom wrote:
DoyleWDonehoo wrote:Its been a long time since I have been to Dinky Lakes, and if it were not for some pictures, I would have few memories, though some stand out. What I do remember vividly was driving that road, very close to the TH parking lot, and bouncing hard into a shaded surprise trench. It was a good thing I was driving a 4Runner. Anything less than a high clearance vehicle would have bottomed out or worse. I would have thought the situation would have improved by now. Drive carefully out there.
Yeah, that rings a bell. IIRC there were also one or two rocks that might not be daunting to a 4Runner, but definitely gave me paus. The stretch closest to the trailhead is the worst.

The other thing about Dinkey Lakes is that while it's pretty enough, for me it's not enough of a prime destination to be worth the pain-in-the-neck road to the trailhead.
"Stretch closest to the trailhead", you mean after the fork with the 4WD trailhead?

There are other trailheads that access the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness, Cliff Lake (Courtright), Badger Flat, and Sand Flats. But, if you think the road to Willow Meadow is bad, don't go to Sand Flats. Sand Flats is a 4WD trailhead, but hikers use it too.
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hurricaniac »

South Lake --> Bishop Pass.

You are immediately amongst pristine lakes, 14'K peaks and the Sierra Crest in 1/2 day. The best east side TH if you want access to prime southern Sierra terrain and the legendary Middle Fork of the Kings R.

hurricaniac