Favorite trailhead

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Favorite trailhead

Post by dave54 »

People still use trailheads???

:confused:
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

Favorite might be Agnew Meadows, for where it can get you in short order.

But the one I've probably done the most is Wrights Lake into Desolation Wilderness. It is not really among my favorite trailheads if thinking about the whole Sierra, but Wrights (and nearby Horsetail Falls) are among the best when one seeks a weekender trip that can get you into good granite in fewer than 3.5 hours from the Bay Area.

- Elizabeth
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

oleander wrote:Favorite might be Agnew Meadows, for where it can get you in short order.

But the one I've probably done the most is Wrights Lake into Desolation Wilderness. It is not really among my favorite trailheads if thinking about the whole Sierra, but Wrights (and nearby Horsetail Falls) are among the best when one seeks a weekender trip that can get you into good granite in fewer than 3.5 hours from the Bay Area.

- Elizabeth
This is how I feel about the Cottonwood Pass trailhead. It's one of my favorites because of the number of trips I've done there and how much I enjoyed those trips. That trailhead was also one of the quickest to get to from Ventura County when I lived there.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Rodriguez Flat TH. :)
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Most used has been Tuolumne meadows and that has been my favorite the past few years for a really wimpy reason: can sleep in a bed at Tuolumne meadows lodge and have pack already to go except for food in storage box. So simply add Bearicade and we are ready to go in the am. I also like Agnew meadows because I can hit the TH in the Afternoon via shuttle after driving down from Oregon then hike up the river trail a couple of miles and make camp and then be ready the next AM for the up hill slog to my next destination.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

Mineral King for the many places you can get to and high elevation start.
Living On Kaweah Time
toejam
Topix Acquainted

Post by toejam »

NIRA Campground (San Rafael Wilderness) - only 1.5 hours from my house.

But since this is a High Sierra topic, Mineral King - really high, lots of options, and no problems getting a permit.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Another vote for Road's End here. There's just such a wealth of destinations from there, and if you go up Copper Creek or Sphinx Creek you can get solitude quickly (but not easily).

My other favorite trailhead area (not one specific trailhead, but several) is the Edison/Florence complex. Again, lots of great destinations from there. Tons of people go up the John Muir Freeway from Florence, but it's not hard to get off there and find a place away from the crowds--say, Mount Shinn Lake & Red Rock Basin, for example.

I've never gone out of Tuolumne Meadows, and it wouldn't be among my favorite trailheads in any case because it's too popular. More of a hassle to get a permit, and much harder to find solitude.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not have "favorite" trailheads. I am just happy that there are so many to choose from. I even like Taboose! I have never had a "bad" experience with permitting, in fact, the rangers have been very flexible and helpful. And I simply do not expect solitude the first few miles. I do a lot out of Yosemite Valley and really get a kick out of the tourists! I can leave the trail anytime to get solitude when I want it.

I do have a few less liked ones. I am not too fond of driving to Edison or Florence Lake. I really hate that road! I am a timid driver and have been honked at and given the finger many times. And I am not that fond of the required shuttle service to Devils Post Pile trailheads. It eats up a lot of time. And paying $$ to park at Twin Lakes is annoying.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I'm with you Daisy---those are three areas that I think I choose less often because the hassles you've identified.

And we like exploring a different trailhead--not only because you get to meet new rangers staff...but I think that each trailhead has a kind of unique culture, and it's fun to see those.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963