2015 Group Trip ?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2015 Group Trip ?

Post by Tom_H »

CrossCountry-I must apologize; I do not understand the question.

Here is another little loop that can be done out of Leavitt Lake. This is only 28.5 mi., but it can easily be expanded by going further into the lakes to the south and west of Emigrant Lake. On this map, I am revealing one of my favorite secret places. I am in my 60s now. My wife is going through brutal radiation therapy for her breast cancer; her flesh is literally falling apart. The little trip I took with my daughter last summer may have been my last backpacking trip. I guess it's time to start giving up some of my most special secret locations. The map below shows what I call Secret Valley. It is a small picturesque meadow surrounded by granite. A crystal clear stream filled with trout meanders through lush grass and wildflowers (when in season). At the NW corner there are some hardened sand flats tucked between granite blocks, offering sheltered camping. This is one of the most secluded and serene places I have ever found. A group can camp there and not be found by other hikers. Not shown on the map is a small ridge to the north of this place, and just west of the stream exiting the meadow. The ridge offers perfect cross-country access (going due N) into Lunch Meadow.

http://caltopo.com/map?id=414F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note to WanderingDaisy: should you decide to visit this place, let me know. I will give you the location of my nearby solar bathing pool and also a swimming pool with sheer granite walls to each side and plunging waterfall at the upper end.
Last edited by Tom_H on Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I would welcome the chance to meet some other HST members.

The group trip to Kawea and Milestone basins would be great, although it requires a minimum of 1 1/2 days to reach either basin, so a 5-9 day trip would make sense. There is good fishing, exploring, peak bagging and opportunities to work a meetup into other destinations. BTW, Hobbes I really like the idea of entering via HS Meadows, over Crabtree, a few days in Kawea/Picket/Milestone and out Shepherds (and the opportunity to meet Tom K).

The idea of having one meetup that is more easily accessible and a second one that is farther into the backcountry might appeal to a larger number of people while still keeping the numbers at each gathering more manageable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Tom H for E W access there is lots of options like onion valley/roads end,
or taboose/roads end, Piute Canyon, evolution valley, mono recesses, there is lots of options. 120 is 6-8 hours from most places in southern california
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ideas.. means nothing until someone steps up and commits to organize such a meet-up. Mav did a great job on the last one from what i saw posted. Sad that I could not attend.

Who's going to "herd the cats" so to speak?
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Nice range of inputs, keep them coming.

To put mileages and driving times in some perspective, Mapquest:

From los angeles to lee vining is 331 miles 5 hours 34 minutes.

From oakland to lee vining is 244 miles 4 hours 37 minutes.

From los angeles to tuolumne meadows is 351 miles 6 hours 5 minutes.

From oakland to tuolumne meadows is 204 miles 4 hours 19 minutes.

From oakland to mammoth lakes is 290 miles 5 hours 23 minutes.

From los angeles to mammoth lakes is 312 miles 5 hours 16 minutes.

From oakland to bishop is 362 miles 6 hours 24 minutes.

From los angeles to bishop is 267 miles 4 hours 26 minutes.

From oakland to te edison reservoir is 246 miles about 5.5 hours.

From los angeles to te edison reservoir is 318 miles about 6.5 hours.

From oakland to courtright reservoir is 238 miles about 4 hours 47 minutes.

From los angeles to courtright reservoir is 289 miles about 5 hours 44 minutes.

From oakland to independence is 404 miles about 7 hours 10 minutes.

Another idea no one has chimed in with is 20 Lakes Valley out of Saddlebag Reservoir. Less than 6 hours from either LA or Oakland. It is one of the few locations in the High Sierra where there is not a quota. Permits can be had at any of the Inyo stations or Tuolumne Meadows and the former can do the night box. The distance from the trailhead is less than 3 miles with little vertical so is trivial but yuh want excercise, climb North Peak. The only thing it is a wee bit weak on is fishing though I can yank pan sized brook trout out of one of those lakes at will. Great place for peakbaggers and photographers. The main issue is it is heavily used. But I do know a good zone to camp there that is away from trails, out of use routes and almost always empty of others because people stay around the lakes. And even usually has running water till mid season. Would work in late June to early July at just 3 to 4 days thus can avoid people's mid summer plans and thus serve as a warm up trip.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Dave,

I laugh at your driving times/distances. Bend to Lee Vining--600 miles about 10 hours if I don't drink too much coffee on the way, hit a deer, or get stuck behind a cattle drive. Mokelumne Kid has even farther to go but can take interstate most of the way.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

oldranger wrote:Dave,

I laugh at your driving times/distances. Bend to Lee Vining--600 miles about 10 hours if I don't drink too much coffee on the way, hit a deer, or get stuck behind a cattle drive. Mokelumne Kid has even farther to go but can take interstate most of the way.

Mike

Mike fly to Reno? I'd do as it w/b about 24hrs at best... Although I'm not a strong enough hiker (read slow) and would take a few more days to hike to the destination area picked. I drove to Boise solo 2 yrs ago took 33 hrs total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

pretty sure Windknot has everyone beat as he's in East Africa.

now, we should get over this topic unless someone steps up and sets a venue. Then the discussion changes.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Austex,

You are really a comedian!! Counting driving to airport, airport time,car rental etc there is no time savings by flying between Bend and Reno over driving.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

rlown wrote:pretty sure Windknot has everyone beat as he's in East Africa. now, we should get over this topic unless someone steps up and sets a venue. Then the discussion changes.
Earlier you wrote >>>"I actually don't like the big meet up plan. I like the impromptu meet-ups...It's almost best to talk to those that you know in your genre' (bagging, fishing, hiking), and team up that way. beyond that it'll be luck."

We all ought to just relax and let the thread slowly evolve. Its going to take some time for members to make inputs on this and as it is winter we don't have much going on at this slow season of the board so lets be patient. After we see the types of trips people have an interest in, then yeah we can discuss ways those might happen if at all. After that if someone wants to drive any particular trip fine. Of course you are obviously right about a better more serious trip is likely with those of one's own genre. No argument there. However on any enthusiast web board more so with gregarious personalities, people often also value some form of modest more general meetings.