2013 Old Fart Trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

2013 Old Fart Trip

Post by oldranger »

This trip continues a tradition began in 2009 when markskor, Tehipite Tom and I first met up in the upper Merced during 3 independent trips but with a planned rendezvous mid trip. Since then I have invited a few HST members to meet up with me at a new location for me so that I can expand my horizons in the Sierra. The trips are short and the numbers are small as my tolerance for groups in the backcountry is limited even though the people I am with are great and good companions. I am just a little too curmudgeonly to deal with group dynamics for too long.

After completing our trip to Waterwheel Falls and a couple of nights in Tuolumne Meadows I kissed Kathy good by and headed toward Shaver Lake with Markskor. Enroute we picked up our wilderness permit in Prather. Next AM we met up with rlown and drove up to the TH to begin the hike about 1 PM.
IMG_6075.jpg
We were expecting to meet up with Tehipite Tom and possibly maverick and giantbrookie during the trip. Troutdog 59 had opted out of the trip at the last minute due to the lame excuse his wife was having surgery!

Due to the fact that one of us had driven up from sealevel that morning the trip was slow and a little worriesome. We opted to call it a half day at first Dinky lake where later that evening markskor and I played with the dinky brookies using fly and bubbles. I also found a geocache near our campsite, which I consider totally inappropriate for a wilderness. In my book it is nothing more than littering.

I was expecting to find giantbrookie and his family at the lake but it turned out that circumstances resulted in a canceled trip.
IMG_6079.jpg
Soon mav actually showed up after embarking on a scouting trip for photo site. I first noticed the effort he took to set up his photos in 2009 and I’m still amazed at the time and effort involved in his photography.
IMG_6090.jpg
It convinced me to focus on fishing and to be happy with my snapshots! Consequently I headed over a low ridge and dropped down to Fingerbowl lake where I enjoyed a couple of hours of fishing for 11” rainbows before returning to camp.

A little later Tehipite Tom arrived. 5 HSTRs at one time! and a good time was had by all.
1Group.jpg
The sunset was spectacular. Last year maverick posted his professional pic of the storm over the Minarets and here is my amateur version.
IMG_6094.jpg
Next morning Tehipite Tom, maverick, and I decided to do a traverse of the Three Sisters. Tom and I stuck together while initially maverick went his own way.
IMG_6097.jpg
IMG_6107.jpg
We joined up on the middle Sister and completed our trek together.
IMG_6117.jpg
IMG_6126.jpg
rlown and markskor fished Fingerbowl together and rlown presented my lure box to me that I had left at Fingerbowl.

On the following day Tehipite Tom returned to the Dinky TH and maverick headed out to the Cliff TH. I accompanied mav and we retraced the end of the previous days hike by heading up the saddle se of Island lake then worked over to the ridge above Cliff lake we split up at about the 9600 ft. level, maverick heading down the ridge and over to the trail while I dropped off the ridge and down to Cliff lake where I fished the w side of the lake for 10-11” brookies.
IMG_6130.jpg
Leaving Cliff it was about a mile by trail over to Rock Lake where more small brookies were waiting to be caught. The last night was just markskor, rlown and myself.

This turned out to be a great social trip. markskor, rlown, and Tehipite Tom got to meet maverick for the first time. The fishing was not great--notta out of Island. The mosquitoes were nasty. And no one got pissed off at me! But getting this group together for just the right amount of time was really great.

The hike out was uneventful except for the almost ritual of leaving my hiking gloves at a rest stop. After returning to Shaver rlown took markskor off my hands for a few days by delivering him by some bizarre route (which they cannot describe) to highway 41 where Mark hitchhiked into yosemite. I then down to Fresno and managed to meet up with Troutdog for a Beer. After visiting with old friends in Squaw Valley I drove up to Yosemite a day later and markskor magically appeared in my rig asking, “Where to next?”

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2013 Old Fart Trip

Post by LMBSGV »

Really enjoyed the report and the photos. It's always a kick to see fellow HSTers together in our favorite place.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Fun TR Mike, and pretty pictures. It was fun meeting Mark, Tom, and Russ for the
first time, and I always enjoy my time spent with you Mike. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I have to add this, as it was pertinent before we got to Island Lk. Mike, Mark and I were at First dinkey. After a nice dinner, and a good rest, we set out the next day for Island Lk.

Mike was packing up in his usual style (sllooww), and Mark takes off on the wrong trail. Shortly after, I do the same. Mike says nothing. After about a quarter mile, i come to a trail split. I know the lake is to the south, so I pull out the GPS to check. I go to the right. Mark, now well ahead of me went left. 2 miles of left. It was a good laugh. (the trail is right along the edge of first dinkey, but Mark and I didn't know that; we thought it was a use trail.)

It was a fun trip and great to meet Mav for the first time. Here's how he greeted us:
Dinkey Lks 2013 005.JPG
Various complimentary pictures of Island Lk which at the time was too warm to catch fish.
Dinkey Lks 2013 008.JPG
Dinkey Lks 2013 017.JPG
Of course the obligatory shot of the kitchen rock, with a big pit and Tom watching out for us:
Dinkey Lks 2013 015.JPG
Tom's axe :) (not really, it was there when we got there, hence no real wood around to keep the fire going. That required searching far and wide.
Dinkey Lks 2013 013.JPG
And finally, Mike, with his "evening" glass caught in the duck trap specially built to guide him back to camp.
Dinkey Lks 2013 028.JPG
A great trip all around, except when a klutz sprained his ankle trying to catch at least one fish out of Island: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9547&hilit=+left+fo ... MvjYP.dpbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Thanks for the extra pics, Russ.

I forgot about the wrong turn you guys took.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Good stuff, thanks for the share. Let me know if/when you get out in 2015, one of these days my schedule is bound to synchronize :drinkers:
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Nice TR! Great photos, too. Love the sign, mav.

Is the 2014 Old Farts TR forthcoming, or did I miss seeing it?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Eric,
Probably not til next year. I have 4 more 2013s and 1 2014 before I get to Old Fart 2014.

Mike
Mike

TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

That was a really fun trip. Thanks for the report & photos, Mike.

One correction: I went with Mike to Cliff Lake, and left the next morning.

A few random photos:

Mike at Happy Hour (and he does seem happy, doesn't he?)

Russ in action

Maverick in action

Markskor in action

Island Lake

First night sunset

Ditto

Early morning at Island Lake
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

This really looks like good times. I wish there had been a HST when I was in my early 60s