Any one know of a back country hike that has giant sequoias | High Sierra Topix  

Any one know of a back country hike that has giant sequoias

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Re: Any one know of a back country hike that has giant sequoias

Postby overheadx2 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Thanks for the help. She will be coming with my brother and I on our annual week trip next year. She did a three day 20 miler with us last year and did great. I had her lead the way on some XC parts of our trip (with supervision) so that she could begin using the topos, and start to paying attention to landmarks if she ever got lost. I was excited at her excitement of backpacking and route finding. More importantly, she is already begging to come on our week long trip next year and is helping my brother find a 40 to 50 mile loop. She asked if Sequoias would be possible, so I asked. I think a day in Sequoia to see redwoods and acclimate is how we are going to do it, but camping in the sequoias sounded like fun.

overheadx2
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby Herm » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:52 am

Hiking from Atwell Mill Campground to Hockett Meadow would allow for some brief exposure to the big trees. The trail starts in a grove that was harvested, but there are still some trees standing. There are a few places along the trail where one can stand in their midst, but mostly the trail traverses above the groves. Here is a picture as proof

Looking down on these trees reminds me of broccoli, so I affectionately refer to them as broccoli tops.

This trail leads to some interesting areas, and could be done as a 30+ mile loop, returning over Farewell Gap into the Mineral King Valley.

Hope this helps.
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
Herm
Topix Regular

Postby lambertiana » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:10 pm

If you want a grove with good trees and few people, the Garfield Grove is a good one. You could combine it in a trip up to Hockett or farther. I did a dayhike a few years ago to find the Floyd Otter tree, trip report here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7738

There is a lot of poison oak low, and a good uphill to the grove. But you can camp under the trees. The best campsites are on the saddle on the east side of Snowslide Canyon, but you have to bring your water there, or go another mile or so to the creek to get water, assuming it is flowing in a dry year.

I have done the Redwood Canyon loop as an overnight, and it makes a really nice overnight trip. Not too strenuous, lots of good trees, and not many people.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Postby balance » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:23 pm

overheadx2

Your decision to see the Sequoia groves while acclimating the first day, then taking the hiking trip afterwards makes sense. You'll enjoy the best of both that way.

Congratulations on having a niece with a sense of adventure and love for the outdoors. Many kids nowadays would be content with looking at a few pictures of Giant Sequoia trees on their cell phone, and leave it at that.
balance
Topix Regular

Postby hurricaniac » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:40 pm

The So. Fork Grove out of the So. Fork Kaweah river trailhead is a particularly sweet grove. Very unique in its setting and not too high elevation on the way up to Hockett Mdw. You could loop up to Hocket and then return thru the Garfield Grove which is quite majestic.
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Previous

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping