TR Garnet / TI 9-25 - 9/28

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jornellas
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR Garnet / TI 9-25 - 9/28

Post by jornellas »

After much prep and planning my buddy and I left Orange County at 7PM Thursday for Mammoth. Traffic was light and we were able to get to our hotel about 1AM. We were up by 6:30 and after loading up on the "Continental Breakfast" in the car by 7:30.

Upon getting to the Minaret Summit gate the Ranger kindly informed us that the road may be closed when we leave due to snow and not to worry it wouldn't be like the Donner Party. She snickered when we told her we were headed to TI/Garnet and commented "I'm sure it won't be cold up there...".

By 8:30 we were on the trail and quickly descended into the valley, we had decided to use the River trail and get up to the lake before and weather hit. We also reconsidered TI due to the inbound storm and opted for Garnet. We nearly missed the Garnet junction (not marked) but luckily found it. We scurried up the side of the mountain and then through the small gorge. Upon getting to the top I was greeted by a view of Garnet and Banner. So amazing.

We found a site relatively near the lake a set up camp. The decision was made to base camp due to the snow that was coming in and I had brought a small hex tarp to set up for a cooking and social area. Once set up I grabbed my pole and headed over to the lake, I have to say I have never caught so many fish and so quickly it was amazing. All Brookies from 8-16 inches, voracious little buggers.

Back at camp we enjoyed a few fish and Pasta Alfredo while sipping on some laphroaig quarter cask to keep warm in the ever dropping temps. About 7PM the first snow started falling and we decided about 8 to hit the sack.

Saturday morning we awoke to a few inches of snow and decided to head around the lake. We fished and explored for a few hours and as the weather worsened we decided to head back to camp. By 4PM the temps were dropping and winds were picking up. After a quick dinner we retreated to my tent for some cards and Scotch. I might note that when shutting our headlamps off it was the darkest I had ever seen, there was a low fog and absolutely no light whatsoever made it through. Could not see my hand in front of my face.

Sunday morning was extremely cold and already looked like we were going to get slamed. We fished for the AM and after lunch decided that regardless of the weather that we were going to head over to TI. The hike was relatively easy and was great to see TI and be thankful that we hadn't set up camp there due to its openness. Back at camp we huddled under the tarp and had Bean and Rice burritos for dinner and then a treat of cocoa and schnapps before turning in.

Monday our day of departure we awoke to breathtaking blue skies and ice, lots of ice.. After heading around the lake for a good vantage point for some photos I was finally glad that I had lugged my D800 up the trail. We had a quick breakfast and hit the trail, I will say that going down the rocky gorge to the river trail was a bit sketchy with the all the ice. We made it down to the valley in quick time and were back to our car in about 3 hours.

This was my second backpacking trip and I must say that I am absolutely hooked, nothing like loading up your pack and knowing that is all you have to keep you going for 4 days. Thank you all for your many posts and knowledge that helps the inexperienced like myself.
IMG_0520.jpg
IMG_0530.jpg
IMG_0541.jpg
IMG_0555.jpg
IMG_0623.jpg
JPO_6886.jpg
JPO_6914_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR Garnet / TI 9-25 - 9/28

Post by maverick »

Very cool TR (no pun intended), and pretty pictures, especially the last one.
You wrote that it looked like you were getting ready to be slammed, did
it snow on Sunday, and at about what time?
Inquiring because of the missing hikers in SEKI. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jornellas
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by jornellas »

Maverick,

Cool indeed, very fun trip.

It did indeed snow Sunday, mix of hail/sleet/snow all day and around 4 we started to get some big flakes that stuck. All in all Monday morning there was about 3 inches on the ground but there was quite a bit more that didn't stick Sunday. Hope they find the missing hiker ASAP.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the quick reply.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org