Summer Backpacking Highlights

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
astrogerly
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Summer Backpacking Highlights

Post by astrogerly »

I’m not one for writing trip reports, so I want to be up front with that. I’m a big fan of reading them, I spent a good deal of my recovery last summer doing just that, but I’m better at just doing brief summaries of trips. I’ve been meaning to post about my return to backpacking this summer (http://astrogerly.blogspot.com/2014/06/ ... cking.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), but have failed at it, along with updating my blog. I finally got around to writing a new blog post yesterday, thanks to a shorter than expected trip due to the weather. It’s basically a summary of a few of the more significant backpacking adventures from this past summer (several trips were not included). They might be average trips to most, but after seriously breaking my back last February and having to learn to walk again, they are a pretty big deal to me. I appreciate any time I get in the Sierra after what happened. :)

Here’s the link to the summary: http://astrogerly.blogspot.com/2014/09/ ... hange.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’m happy to provide more details if anyone wants them! Hope you enjoy!
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Summer Backpacking Highlights

Post by davidsheridan »

Congratulations on your courageous recovery and return to the high sierra.

I can't imagine the rollercoaster of lows and highs you must have been through after breaking your back, to return to backpacking.

Thanks for sharing your story and wonderful photos.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Thanks, David! It's definitely been one heck of a roller coaster ride. I've learned/am learning a lot from the ongoing recovery journey. I now appreciate the big things (like Sierra trips) and the little things in a whole new way knowing how much differently they could have turned out... :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Congratulation Tiffany on your recovery, and being able to indulge in your
passion, the Sierra!
Thank you for taking the time to write this up and posting a link to your blog,
your photo's are very pretty, and your story in inspirational!
Hope to see you continue to get stronger, and post future trip reports.
It's not all about where one visits, but the journey it takes to get there, and
the sharing of your personal experiences while being immersed into our beloved
mountains.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Thanks, Maverick! I'm going to try and make an effort to post future trip reports - either here or on my blog. I've noticed that writing has been a great outlet for me on my blog, so maybe trip reports will provide the same outlet.

I was very grateful to be able to day hike in the Sierra last summer, but there was still that special feeling that you get when backpacking that was missing. This summer I got that feeling back and it's meant the world to me.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Thank you for the link to your blog. I enjoyed reading it. And loved the double rainbow photo.

And, congratulations on getting back to the Sierra. Very inspirational. Yes, "elated."
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Thanks! We knew that everything was going to look magical after the storm, and that sunset would probably be awesome, but the double rainbow was definitely a treat! It was also neat to see all the newly formed waterfalls cascading off the distant granite peaks/domes. Sadly, my iphone didn't capture those very well (left my dslr at home to save some weight). I think I'd forgotten how special the aftermath of some storms in the Sierra can be.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

astrogerly wrote: They might be average trips to most, but after seriously breaking my back last February and having to learn to walk again, they are a pretty big deal to me. I appreciate any time I get in the Sierra after what happened. :)

Here’s the link to the summary: http://astrogerly.blogspot.com/2014/09/ ... hange.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’m happy to provide more details if anyone wants them! Hope you enjoy!
Thanks for the summary of your trips. Getting back out there to "backpacking" after a major injury, especially to the back, is inspirational, probably more than you may realize. Are any trips in the High Sierra average? It will be really good to see more trip reports in the future.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Rich,
Thanks for the kind words. I hear the "inspirational" comment quite a bit... and I don't think it will ever fully sink in for me. I just consider myself as plugging along and doing everything I can to get my life back. :)

Good point re: average. No trip in the Sierra is average. I am horrible about getting into the mindset of thinking my little weekend adventures are ho-hum compared to most peoples trips. I'm working on fixing that ;)