Advice requested for planning photographic trip next Spring

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice requested for planning photographic trip next Spring

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not think 6-7 days is too long for a newbie, but the "up to 10 mile a day" is too much. I am thinking more of 3-4 miles a day. She will be learning as she goes, so you will need to teach basics along the way. This will take some time. If the purpose of the trip is photography, then you need to reserve the morning and evening best light hours for this activity only. Particularly on the east side, you need to get up at dawn for the sunrise shots, and save 4PM-dark for late light shots. This means you will likely break camp late (say 9AM or later) and set up early (3PM). You also need to spend time checking out the right place to be for the best shots. This really works well with a plan of low-mileage days or simply base camping. Your wife already said she wants to go for the photography; not to make miles.

I would keep her first trip to all trails while carrying a pack, and maybe some easy off-trail on day hikes. If you are doing low-mileage days, you need to go to an area that is drop-dead awesome from the very start. Minarets and Dusy Basin qualify. I am no expert, but I find that north-facing cirques hard to photograph, and some big-mountain areas are just close to get a shot. As much as I like First, Second ... Sixth Lake area, I find it hard to photograph. I also have trouble with early season snow at above timber peaks - too much contrast. There are some good photographers on this forum - maybe they can chime in on where they would take a newbie photographer.
tanngrisnir3
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by tanngrisnir3 »

Thanks again for the prodigious replies and great advice, everyone.

And Elizabeth, you've pointed out some complete "DOH!" forehead slappers that I didn't even consider when making the post. Totally agree. This is something I've had a lifetime of being used to, and something she's never even tried, so why make it a marathon when it should be a Sunday jog?

As I stated, here's what I have in mind; I'd love to hear what you all think about it:

Visit the lakes just to the west of either South or Sabrina, not even approaching the ridge/passes/cols, and just concentrating on exploring them, having set up a base camp, and day-hiking around those same lakes with the camera gear, prepping for the best places for sunrise/set.

Two nights max.
Easy in/easy out.
Close to the vehicle should things fall apart for whatever reason(s).

That said, does anyone have an opinion of what might be better for photography? The lakes west of South Lake or those west of Sabrina?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Midnight Lake and Sailor Lake are the highlights in that area, would also
seriously consider Big Pine North Fork, which easy to access, not draining
to get to, and offers big mountain (Palisades) scenery, beautiful reflections
in numerous lakes, and the glacier fed lakes with their emerald green color
is gorgeous.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org