Trip Advice too late in season for lake Italy?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Thebrenner
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Advice too late in season for lake Italy?

Post by Thebrenner »

Thank you to everyone who responded to this. Lots of good information as well as suggestions. A close friend worked with Charlie Hench so I am quite familiar with his story and actually did think about that when planning this trip. I have driven the road into Florence Lake area hundreds of times and find the road to be enjoyable to drive so that was not a concern of mine. However, after watching the weather closely it seems that the weather is changing and a possible "system" is brewing. I decided to head for lower elevation and plan to head out to Jeannie Lakes and Lost Lake "dawn early" on Thursday. Looks like the weather will turn late friday and saturday, so even this trip might be short or a no go in the end.
And poor Lake Italy, which has been on my "list" for a while will have to wait another season for me! Again, thank you all for your suggestions.
I will post a trip report if in fact a trip happens.
thebrenner!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice too late in season for lake Italy?

Post by richlong8 »

I was only going to the 9000' level on Bear Creek, but I am backing off for this weekend. Just call me a fair weather backpacker! I think there will be some more Indian summer weather in October, and better opportunities, but if not, an El Nino year would be good for everyone.