I need some help please

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

I need some help please

Post by Jimr »

I saw something up on the wall of the Ritter Banner saddle. I tried to point it out to Maverick and Oleander and I think they saw what I saw, but I can't be entirely sure. It looked eerily like a black backpack with a white strip to me. I know it stood out against the surrounding rock in that the rock was very angular, rectangular, but this was oblong with no sharp angles. And the appearance of a white stripe. It was sitting on one of a series of golden colored rock slabs.

This is really bothering me and I need to research further. If anyone has a high quality image of the east side of the Ritter Banner saddle taken clear of snow before July 16th, 2013 and/or after July 20th, 2013. Please PM me. The best would be either a raw file or a 16 bit .tif file. I can process most raw formats.

If I can locate the object in place before July 16th, then it is of no interest. If I can identify the absence of the object before that time, it immediately becomes a potential item of interest and perhaps worth somebody hiking a long lens, 800mm or greater, or a powerful set of binoculars. A shot after July 20th that shows the object there would be ideal for others to possibly locate the object.

I thought that it was in a place that could be seen from the ridge, but what the hell do I know, I've been on too many ridges and saddles where you had no idea what was beneath you until you went down and this seemed too steep to safely wander down from the ridge to investigate.

I've attached a crop of a shot off of the internet with the area of interest circled.

If you have something like what I am asking for, please PM me.
ritter_banner_saddle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
seanr
Topix Regular

Re: I need some help please

Post by seanr »

Hmmmm....If I'm interpreting correctly, my images of that area were taken in the evening, after ideal light conditions, but that doesn't seem like a rare spot to end up in a photograph. It should be visible from Ediza area, from the PCT above & north of Agnew Meadow, maybe from Mammoth Mountain, or maybe from other easy to reach locations. Unfortunately, I think the view of Ritter-Banner saddle is blocked by Volcanic Ridge from Minaret Vista. I deleted at least one closer shot of that area earlier today due to poor quality, but I'll post the one poor shot I still have of that area from 9/7/14 and try to PM it as well. Here's one place/lead to ask for possibility of additional images:

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-ritter/ ... 087#165087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.summitpost.org/banner-peak/c ... 086#165086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Thanks for the links Sean. Perhaps I should post my request on some of the climbing forums as well. I don't want to create too much buzz around it unless I can identify it's absence prior to the target date. I don't want to create false hope over a strange rock with a mylar balloon stuck to it.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

I'm not knowledgeable enough about camera lenses, binoculars, etc. to know what it would likely take as far as location and viewing equipment to get the shots/views you are hoping to see. I do know I turned to look at Ritter-Banner saddle several times on my way down Ritter's SE Col/Glacier route to Ediza. Now that I'm more awake, I'm realizing that my smartphone camera would have been of little help even when I was near the saddle and someone would need to be pretty close to the circled area in your image even with something better. ;)

I would not be very surprised if there has been or will be someone on SP or one of several other sites with decent camera equipment or binoculars near the area you want to see or maybe even on that route. Let me know if you need help asking around on SP about images. I imagine it could be done without much effort via forums and PMs, and with or without much specificity regarding why the image is wanted.

Good luck!