TR: Seville and Lost Lakes, Aug 30-Sep 1

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

TR: Seville and Lost Lakes, Aug 30-Sep 1

Post by tim »

After a very busy summer with no time for our usual August backpacking trip, I finally got out over Labor Day weekend with my two sons (13 and 9) and a friend of my older son. We set off from Rowell Meadow TH on Saturday morning around 11.30am on a very dusty dry trail and got to the JO Pass turnoff for lunch. Rowell Meadow itself was completely dry, with only one small muddy puddle on the way over to Belle Canyon. Even Sugarloaf Creek was just a trickle.
DSC05909.jpg
We finally reached Seville Lake at 4pm and found several other groups there, including one with a horse. Nevertheless the lake was pretty and the kids all managed a swim despite the somewhat muddy lake bottom.
DSC05916.jpg
The next morning we decided to move up to Lost Lake, which took about 2.5 hours and was much quieter and even more spectacular. After a pleasant but cold swim, I climbed the shoulder above the lake to see a great view across much of the western side of Kings Canyon National Park, ranging from Goddard in the north to the Tablelands in the south.
DSC05946.jpg
DSC05949.jpg
I also went back up there for an incredible sunset. The photos don't do it justice but the sunset on Mt Clarence King and Mt Brewer was spectacular.
DSC05967.jpg
DSC05971.jpg
The next morning we woke up early and the lake was perfectly reflective.
DSC05981.jpg
DSC05991.jpg
After a quick breakfast we headed out the 8 miles in only about four hours, with the incentive of pizza for lunch. The climb out of Belle Canyon was pretty steep but after that it was easy, quick hiking. All in all, a very good brief trip with great scenery and nice campsites (including the ability to have fires both nights). I can see why its a popular destination for early season trips and it would be a good option for kids who can manage a 6-8 mile hike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Seville and Lost Lakes, Aug 30-Sep 1

Post by sekihiker »

Awesome photos of a lovely area. Your telephoto shots were impressive.
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

Great trip report and photos! Thanks for sharing. I love to backpack and explore this area. It sounds like Seville was busy. Campfires aren't banned in that area?
Living On Kaweah Time
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

In Kings Canyon there are only fire restrictions below 6000ft, in addition to the usual 10,000ft upper limit. Between that you are fine.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Jennie Lake Wilderness is not in the park, but in Sequoia National Forest - which has a complete fire ban.
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

Ok, then SNP and KCNP have the same fire restrictions, no fires below 6000' or above 10000'. That's cool! I can live with that.
So if fires are banned in Jennie Lakes Wilderness, that means that Sequoia and Sierra NF have the same fire ban... NO Fires anywhere.
Isn't that interesting how that works?..
Living On Kaweah Time