TR: Yes, the Minarets, again!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Yes, the Minarets, again!

Post by Vaca Russ »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I really hope the Sierra gets its fair share of snow this winter. I missed the snow up on the mountains.
X2 :nod:

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Herm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Herm »

Wandering Daisy;

Great trip report, and fantastic photos!

Thanks for sharing.

Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

Wandering Daisy wrote:This may surprise you, but sometimes when two women who have advanced culinary skills go backpacking we really do not want to cook; we prefer a vacation from cooking. Our focus was hiking. We actually cooked separately and did little more than boil water. I hope that does not burst your bubble. Yes being rained on all summer made me appreciate the mild Sierra summers. On the other hand, I missed the lush green and amazing wildflowers. I really hope the Sierra gets its fair share of snow this winter. I missed the snow up on the mountains. But the Minarets are truly stunning any season, even without snow.
Haha, :D got a good laugh from that. As for the rain, we used to get rained on almost every afternoon in Uncompaghre and the Pecos-gave a lot of lush green. And yes, so hoping that El Nino keeps building to monster size. We need another winter like 2010-2011. We plan to move to WA when we retire in 3-4 years. I'm almost too old to backpack any more, but look forward to day hiking in the Cascades.

In any case, so glad you two are hiking together. I was sure you would be good for each other. I know you are as competent as anyone can be going solo, but I am really glad you have someone with you, just in case. She is strong, but I know she is learning a lot from you. Map and compass skills are not a forte for her, so I hope you've been able to help her. I also know her husband rests easier knowing she is with someone so skilled. Her first group trips were led by guides who weren't well qualified and he sleeps better knowing she is with you. He just hopes she doesn't go hog wild on trips with you, leaving him home alone all summer in the future.

Best wishes for your end of season trips!
Tom
mpeters
Topix Acquainted

Post by mpeters »

Excellent images and TR! Thanks.
jimandluba
Topix Novice

Post by jimandluba »

Wandering Daisy: Great trip report, with fantastic photos. What type of camera do you use? - Jim
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Just read your trip report, WD. Nice description and great photos.

Thanks for transporting me (sort of) to one of my favorite places in the high country.