Help with best area of the Western Sierras

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
caddis
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Help with best area of the Western Sierras

Post by caddis »

Throw a dart at the map. It's all good
joshuacourter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by joshuacourter »

I would agree with other posts that if you want to keep the crowds down, just go after Labor Day in September. Between Memorial Day (May) to Labor Day (September) are the busiest for the National Parks and Forests.

A trip you may want to check out that will provide a variety of terrain can be viewed here on Google Earth -> High Sierra Loop KML. I plan to take this trip within the next few years. Every few months I relook at the route for new photos. More people are posting shots along this route so you can get a feel for it via Google Earth.

I tend to "fly around" in Google Earth to see the National Park trail system and photos of places. I typically design my trip this way and use other programs to fine tune trip specifics. Enabling the photos feature on Google Earth may help you plan or explore options others have suggested too. In my opinion, it is a great way to get a "feel" for the area, once the photos are enabled.

I hope that is helpful :)
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks for all the advice. The wife let me know that she wanted to do a little hiking, so I will be car camping and doing some nice long day hikes. After looking through the options, I am amazed at the amount of really good options available, and have already started to put some trips together for next spring/ summer. I am looking at a early summer (depends on snow) trip to woodchuck lake and over into the black cap basin for some fishing as well as a trip out of Edison to the grave yard lakes into Peter Pand and Lone Indian lakes. It is very cool to have a whole other side to explore. Thanks for helping to point me in the right direction. If you have any good intel or better options to the areas I am looking at don't hesitate to let me know.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

overheadx2 wrote:Thanks for all the advice. The wife let me know that she wanted to do a little hiking, so I will be car camping and doing some nice long day hikes. After looking through the options, I am amazed at the amount of really good options available, and have already started to put some trips together for next spring/ summer. I am looking at a early summer (depends on snow) trip to woodchuck lake and over into the black cap basin for some fishing as well as a trip out of Edison to the grave yard lakes into Peter Pand and Lone Indian lakes.
Those are dayhikes? And time to fish! Wow. You have seriously fast feet.
GoPoly
Topix Novice

Post by GoPoly »

It took us about 4 hours to get from Lake Edison to lower Graveyard lake with packs on. The last climb from the Goodale pass trail to lower Graveyard lake was pretty tough in the heat of the afternoon, so start early. You'll then need to navigate the pass above upper graveyard lake which looked like a cross-country route. Not sure what class. We met some folks that did it and said the traverse down to Peter Pand lake was a bit sketchy for what it was worth. Might be better as an overnighter so you can enjoy the fishing and not feel rushed.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

GoPoly wrote:
You'll then need to navigate the pass above upper graveyard lake which looked
like a cross-country route. Not sure what class. We met some folks that did it
and said the traverse down to Peter Pand lake was a bit sketchy for what it was
worth. Might be better as an overnighter.
The pass is named Silver Fox Pass (unofficially), you'll find plenty of info on it by
typing it into the search feature. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Whoa, what I meant was instead of doing a late season hike, my wife decided she wanted to do something so her and I are going to car camp and just day hike. The hikes mentioned are suggestions from this thread that I will have to put off until next summer instead of this fall.