TR SHR lake country section 3 aug 29-31 2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR SHR lake country section 3 aug 29-31 2014

Post by Gazelle »

SHR section 3 Lake country 38.92 miles 10408 elevation gain 11680 elevation drop total.

Day 1 Friday aug 29 9.23 miles 3390 up 2783 down. Left the house at 2:30am to get to mammoth to meet my ride to the Mosquito flat trailhead, had to pick up permit at Mono lake visitor center then proceeded to Vons in Mammoth where I waited for my boyfriends cousins dads friend to give me a ride to the trailhead. Got to the trailhead at 7:30 am and continued on the little lakes trail absolutely gorgeous to where I cut of to go by Treasure lakes got alittle of track here but it all worked out, proceeded to Dade Lake where I could see before me my destination of Cox col or should I say alittle to the North of it which is described as easier.
1000.jpg
Did go north of cox col and it was not to bad just a couple of spots were tricky but could have probably missed those too.
1001.jpg
The view back was fantastic but the trip up to this col was difficult Elevation and lack of sleep) and was glad I did not bring anyone with me as they would have killed me by the top.
1002.jpg
1003.jpg
Could see my next destination Gabbot Pass, lake Italy and of course Bear creek spire something I will have to come back and climb. Descended a sandy slope then started cutting over to a small tarn halfway up to the pass but below me. The ascent to gabbot pass was quite easy.
1004.jpg
From the pass could look down to the next tarn but could not see my destination for the evening lower mills creek lake yet. On way to lower Mills creek lake met up with Dan also doing the SHR solo, he had started at North lake and had done the first section 2 years ago and informed me he was planning on finishing the whole thing this trip but was sick of the talus, scree and boulders and was going out reds meadow, so at the lake I texted his wife on the inreach to tell her to pick him up on the 1st. Gotta like the inreach. Anyway camp was beautiful and he continue on as he wanted to be going up to Laurel lake in the morning. Had the whole lake to myself got there at 3pm so cleaned up set up the tent as it looked like it could rain (didn’t and cowboy camped instead).
1005.jpg
Day 2 12.49 miles 3489 up 4007 down.
Started from Lower Mills creek lake at 8am, takes me a while in the morning. Worked down the creek if you stay on use trail not to bad but easily lost, got to the steeper section and looked into 2nd recess and the hole/cave that should not exist and a beautiful waterfall, at this point use trail is a great thing it would probably be hell without it, joined mono pass trail to the sign for Laurel lake and Grinnell lakes, up the trail to where it levels off, cross the creek and did find the use trail off and on to Laurel Lake.
1006.jpg
1007.jpg
1008.jpg
Went around lake and up somewhat easy steep grass slope to Bighorn pass, from there had the decision of dropping down to the Lake then back up to shout of relief pass or traverse, I chose traverse did not feel like the elevation gain and loss was worth it but it did look easier. The traverse was not bad and ½ way through I say 2 people on the pass. 20 minutes later I was there looking down on the next area to navigate.
1009.jpg
To be continued
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Re: TR SHR lake country section 3 aug 29-31 2014

Post by Gazelle »

Dropped down grassy slopes and over to Cotton lake, on the way saw the 2 people/guys by a lake but didn’t quite catch them. So proceeded to Isaak Walton Lake went far left a little too soon and had to work right, dropped down to IWL and decided I would continue to Hortense Lakes which I had planned out. Glad I did they are beautiful. On the way broke my trekking pole so unpacked to find stuff to fix it as I did so I could see the guys on the shores of IWL. Fixed pole and worked up to Mace lake then to Hortense found a camp spot between them at 4:30 another lake all to myself! Cleaned up and went over the next days maps and description.
1010.jpg
1011.jpg
Day 3 17.2 miles 3550up 4890 down
Started my day with the wrong decision to just go over the pass between Hortense Lakes and Horse Haven when I should have gone down the easier more westerly route which I knew never go against your instincts or you end up on some hard to navigate cliffs, gullies, and some difficult class 3-4 moves but only 2 and I got lucky (I think)!
1012.jpg
Got to trail in horse haven and quickly made it to the JMT where I was confused for a second a it said purple lake not lake Virginia so consulted map and was on my way up the switchbacks got to Virginia Lake where all of a sudden people everywhere and then someone called out my name? it was Dan again he was getting a late start told him his wife knew he was coming out at reds, and was on my way realizing quickly that I like off trail much better then on trail one pays more attention to the scenery and almost no people.
1013.jpg
So purple lake then the turn off to Duck lake, almost to Duck lake saw a couple on a day hike so knew I was getting close to civilization. At Duck Lake a few groups of people but the trail up to Duck pass had LOTS of people it was Labor Day weekend after all but was VERY glad to cut off at Duck pass for cross country travel again followed a use trail a little to far then found the pass I needed looking down on deer lakes. On way down met a day hiker coming up. Deer lakes are very nice especially the upper.
1014.jpg
Was going to stay here if I needed to but it was only 1pm so all the way out was my goal. Work down to middle Deer lake on use trail, then the trail becomes much more pronounced. Then one must climb up to the Mammoth crest, hot, steep, and for me not expected but gorgeous when you get there 2 people were up there taking pictures and I could see why.
1015.jpg
Made it to the lake George trail turnoff where there were groups of people,I almost went down that way but decided not to, then 10 minutes later there was another trail that went that way and to Horseshoe lake (my ending point)
1016.jpg
which would have been much quicker then going to Mammoth pass trail to Horseshoe lake (someone was testing me)I did decide to go on to Mammoth pass trail the cliffs you stay on top of are impressive but the decent to the trail is 1 foot thick sandy granite sliding stuff you better have gaiters and going up it would REALLY suck thank god I was going down, found the trail and made my way to Mcleod Lake and cleaned up so I would be presentable to normal humans on the bus I needed to catch to Mammoth Lakes. Made it to Horseshoe lake 4:10 pm just missing the 4pm bus next one at 4:30. Bus was right on schedule and made my way to the village to catch the bus to take me to Vons and my car. Got on that one and right after dan my fellow SHR hiker got on he had gone down the trail to Lake George (obviously quicker), he was spending the night and his wife was picking him up the next day. Got off at Vons grabbed food and was home by 9pm. Awesome trip cant wait to do the rest of the SHR.

Thanks for reading my post

Kristine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Kristine,

Wow! What a hike! No wonder you haven't been posting your TRs. :D

I'm glad your boyfriend's cousin's dad's friend showed up to give you a ride to Mosquito Flat!! :D :nod: :D

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

That's a pretty good one huh?
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Very impressive. Thnaks for sharing. Have you done the whole SHR? If so, what is your favorite section? What section/passes are the most difficult and should be avoided by people who only have limited cross country experience? - Thanks
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Have only done this section and the last from tioga to twin lakes. I found this to be way easier than the last section easier route finding and easier passes. Hope to do the rest next summer sections 1and 2 in one long trip and then section 4. The only pass which is not one, is from hortense lakes to Horse creek the wrong way and it is not on the route. Did not like sky pilot col on the last section might be alright going north to south but going down the north side was kind of hairy as it is very steep and rock hard with just enough soft stuff to make It very slippery but only for a short section. and Stanton pass does have some class 3 and you better hit the descent correctly.
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Moonwalker »

This looks awesome. Thanks for the post and the ideas, and the great pics!