Black Rock Pass to Spring Lake - Mineral King route question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
richapple
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Black Rock Pass to Spring Lake - Mineral King route question

Post by richapple »

With a number of trips to Mineral King under my belt (going back to, yikes, 1972) we're hoping to get to a couple places we haven't yet been, and one of them is Spring Lake. We just want to get there after coming over Black Rock Pass, and I find the following description somewhere:

"The easiest route leaves the Black Rock Trail near 10,000 feet and contours 0.9 mile to the lake."

The following photo I find is from Black Rock Pass Trail looking at Spring Lake
(Photo from Panoramio and was taken by a Jordan Hughes - http://www.panoramio.com/photo/74532719" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
and it (the photo) might show pretty well the general view, and it looks fairly easy. Anyone with cross-country experience around this area know if there is a visible "route" maybe from a turn or two down the trail visible in the photo? Or possibly a higher route staying to the left and above that (gulp) talus field in the photo?

Thanks,
Rich

PS - Some Trip/Route Advice qualifications/info about us
Level of backpacking experience: Level 4- Comfortable with trail and/or x-country travel
Terrain comfortable/uncomfortable with: Usually like to keep it at Class 1 with maybe a bit of Class 2 (assume rock climber type ratings), but we're not fans of long talus crossings. (For this trip note we're not doing any of the high x-country passes, and not even Columbine/Sawtooth, which we have done, and is spectacular).
richapple
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Black Rock Pass to Spring Lake - Mineral King route question

Post by sparky »

It might be more than you want to chew on, but I found the route from the uppermost little 5 lake to upper big 5 lakes basin to spring lake to be pretty scenic, and I didn't find it difficult at all, but you might not like it. I remember the descent to spring lake as being steep class 2 with some large loose boulders, but it is a route that I would most definitely do again if I was heading from little 5 to mineral king. My memory isn't known for being accurate, but I think the class 3 ratings in this area dosn't indicate it is difficult. I have been on MUCH more difficult and scary class 2 terrain.

Go to the uppermost little 5 lake, hop the obvious saddle to big 5 lakes basin, contour toward the saddle that leads to spring lake (some easy route finding with a pretty good use trail most of the way). Sandy on the east side, the rocky on the west side. Use some hands with good holds and not much exposure. Descend grassy ramps/boulders to spring lake. Instead of descending to spring lake, you can contour to cyclamen lake, which has been described in another thread. I personally didn't like the look of it, but usually when you get up in the mix it isn't that bad. I exited using Glacier Pass, which I found to be fairly trivial also (with the exception of me getting needlessly stupid on icey steep slopes). But you can just as well descend cliff creek and pick up the trail to Mineral King.
IMG01412.jpg
IMG01416.jpg
IMG01427.jpg
IMG01428.jpg
If you want to keep it easy, just eyeball a route while descending black rock pass, should be an easy contour
IMG01424.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richapple
Topix Acquainted

Post by richapple »

Thank you, Sparky,

Excellent information and photos. And I think that "Pass" from upper Big Five over to Spring might be called "Hands and Knees Pass". A ranger described it to us in 1999 with a fairly big grin.

We will have the time to investigate and I was already thinking of a day-hike from Big Five Basin to check out that pass (and view). Or at least we may go cross-country over the (as you said, "obvious") saddle to Little Five Lakes rather than the trail.

Again, thanks for the info, and I will report back what we saw, did, experienced, etc.

Rich
richapple
Starcy
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Starcy »

We just did Sawtooth>Big Five>Black Rock>Spring Lake>Timber Gap a few weeks ago. I can tell you that there is currently no trail to Spring Lake. We searched and found nothing. Basically just hiked down Black Rock until we were about the same elevation as the lake. There seemed to be remnants of a trail at first, but it quickly dissipated. So we just winged it the best we could, the visibility is excellent, so you don't have to worry about losing your way. There just isn't a trail. Some scree fields and briar patches to navigate, but overall not a huge issue. The lake is WELL worth it! There is a small patch of trees that makes for an excellent campsite. There appeared to be plenty of fish, but we never ended up dropping a lure. We had so much success fishing at Big Five that we had eaten our fill of trout for the week.

At the risk of spoiling Spring Lakes magic, I would say not to miss this place.
Spring Lake.jpg
Spring Lake from Black Rock.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

It's a shame that the trail from Spring Lake to the Black Rock Pass trail is no longer visible. I took it several times in the 1990's and brush was not a problem. It was a use trail almost to maintained trail standards.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Wowww what a beautiful place, thanks for asking the question and sharing with the rest of us. This is why this forum is so great, always getting new ideas for places to visit and inspiration for new trips. I really love the southern sierra. What is that peak behind the lake? those 2 rock faces look amazing!

Wow Starcy! amazing stunning photos!

Limping crab, are those in Vitaly's new book? :)
Nozmo King
Topix Acquainted

Post by Nozmo King »

My buddy & I hiked X-country from Spring Lake to the Black Rock Pass trail in 2006. We stayed above the lake & found it to be brushy, sun-exposed & full of gnats & mosquitoes. If I had to do it over again, I’d give up some elevation & follow the outlet stream of Spring & then contour up to the Black Rock trail.