South Fork Kaweah River Canyon to Hockett

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
iHartMK
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: South Fork Kaweah River Canyon to Hockett

Post by iHartMK »

The Hungry Packer wrote:Last November a friend and I made our way past Whiskey Log Camp and camped along the South Fork Kaweah. Once we passed Ladybug Falls we didn't see anyone else the entire time we were in the canyon. There are some nice campsites on the north side of the river maybe 1 mile past Whiskey Log. After a night of camping, we followed a faint trail along the north side of the river up the canyon. We made it well into the South Fork Grove, where there are some awesome sequoias, including a huge one that has fallen and you can walk on top of.

As I recall, the trail continued up the canyon along the north side of the river. There were remnants of camping gear and shredded clothing in the area...don't really know what that was about.

Interesting note: we camped along a large, open granite slab close to the river. We laid out there until about midnight to look at the stars...didn't see or hear anyone else. The next morning when we left camp to hike up to South Fork Grove, we found twig objects/figures lashed together with natural twine at the site where we had been stargazing.

I don't know who would have put twigs together like that in the middle of the night. That area gave me the willies.
I have spent a lot of nights up in the south fork canyon. I have also found shredded clothes/gear and even a tent once. Not on the trail, but in a side canyon. I always assumed it was people that were too lazy to pack out their gear..then the bears find it. But as you guy higher and further up the canyon it definitely gets weirder. I always get the willies up there too. Not to sound too weird, but I have always thought that if Sasquatch was real, it would live up there. So who do you honestly think made those twig things you found?
Living On Kaweah Time
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Superstitious marijuana growers made them.

I have been quite a ways beyond south fork grove trying to get to hockett lakes. I dont mind bushwacking but it was nasty and steep.
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

sparky wrote:Superstitious marijuana growers made them.

I have been quite a ways beyond south fork grove trying to get to hockett lakes. I dont mind bushwacking but it was nasty and steep.
Really? You think that's who made them?? Trying to scare people away?

So how far did you get before you turned back? I got pretty far on a dayhike from Whiskey Log once and it looked like it started to open up, but I was alone and it started getting creepy back in there.
Living On Kaweah Time
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Not to scare people away exactly....voodoo.

I dont remember, this was many years ago. I just remember bushwacking, scrambling, bushwacking I was getting worked. I too was alone but I wasn't getting spooked. Now if I had found some weird voodoo dolls I probably would have been a little worried!
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

That's is trippy.. to say the least.

Oh ok, well maybe we need to get a group together this fall and do it. It seems like it would be a cool adventure.
Living On Kaweah Time
DMQ
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by DMQ »

Reviving an old thread here, I'm an on and off long time reader here but have never had much to say. I did the South Kaweah Canyon to Hockett Meadow loop a couple weeks ago. It was mostly fun with half a day of hellish bushwhacking, yet nowhere near as bad as what the North Kaweah has to offer as far as bushwhacking goes...
http://darinmcquoid.com/southkaweah.html
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Darin,

Welcome to HST! Really enjoyed your kayaking adventures on your website. Hopefully you will find time to post some in our "Other Wicked Sierra Nevada Sports" section. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DMQ
Topix Novice

Post by DMQ »

Thanks Maverick, hopefully I'll have time too :) Also if any of you HST guys have missions in the area just give me a shout as we're right in Three Rivers with a nice shower to wash off the poison oak or want to get a good nights sleep.
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

Great trip report! I am so jealous. You Darin, are my hero!
We will be backpacking & exploring up on south fork Kaweah this weekend, but unfortunately won't be doing this. Hopefully someday I will though.
If you ever feel like doing it again, I would be more than happy to accompany you.
Is that metal camp sign new? For some reason I don't remember ever seeing that sign..
Thanks again for the trip report and cool pictures.
William Hart
Living On Kaweah Time
DMQ
Topix Novice

Post by DMQ »

Hey Will,

We are just starting our third year here and the signs have been there since we got here. The Cahoon Mdw - S. Kaweah sign looks like the tree used to obscure most of it. I'd guess those were put up some time in the '70s? - Correction, the Trails End Camp sign is certainly from a different era, bolts instead of nails and it has rounded edges.

Have fun up there, I'd imagine you'll see some snow if you go too high up :)