South Fork Kaweah River Canyon to Hockett

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: South Fork Kaweah River Canyon to Hockett

Post by limpingcrab »

Cool, I don't think we've ever met but it sounds like we should! Not a ton of people into type II mountain fun and I could always go for some nice bushwhacking.

Darin, good to know. Maybe still fun to fish though?
I've tubed (what I grew up doing) or kayaked (just have an IK) everything from Buckeye Flat to the lake except for that long slide into a corner right next to Buckeye Campground but I'd like to at lower flows.
I would love to check out the middle fork up higher whether it needs a rope or not! One of my favorite fishing spots is to bush whack down a little way past Moro Creek and fish up towards Panther Creek until a gorge makes upward progress too difficult. My dream trip is to go from Buck Creek all the way down over a couple days. Here's where I usually stop, though now I've taken up fly fishing.
574835_10150882397830236_1213146657_n.jpg

Pretty much all of my experience on that river is at pretty low flows playing around in the IK or fishing but it's such a beautiful river, which I'm sure you know since you've been all over the Kaweahs.

PS. I went down to the upper end of Marble Falls after those guys ran it (well, rappelled it) a couple years ago looking for caves and found scraped off kayak plastic on the rocks. That's another section of river that would be fun to canyoneer at low flows with a fishing pole!
Jul272012_0005.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.