Trip Report: 60 Lakes Basin/Gardiner Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
shan1203
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Report: 60 Lakes Basin/Gardiner Basin

Post by shan1203 »

richlong8,

It took some time, but we've uploaded our tracks from the trip and you can view them here:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=3012650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What an awesome set of tracks. I'm happy to have a reason to reflect on this great trip :)

Happy Hiking,
Shannon
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

The 2nd time I went to Gardner (solo) I started from Roads end at 4:30PM up Bubbs Creek and camped on the creek at a place that had a bear cable. The 2nd day I hiked cross country up Charlote Creek and arrived at my destination - the small lake just above the largest lake and by 2:30 was fishing the lake in my chair. I thought this was really cool that I could be fishing in Gardner Basin less than 24 hours after starting my trip. I hurt my arm in a fall hiking up Charlote Creek. It's not an easy hike. Just before I was going to leave (1 day early) 3 women arrived and I stayed another day. They were pleasent and good company. "Saint" Diane was at home taking care of the little ones. I missed her on that trip as I always did when our kids were too young to backpack with me.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Thank you very much for taking the time to post the GPS tracks. :)
shan1203
Topix Acquainted

Post by shan1203 »

richlong8,

No problem! Sorry it took so long :)

One word of caution - we did not take the best route to meet up with Gardiner Creek. (read: bushwhacking...terrible bushwachking!!! :eek: )

Shannon
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thanks for the great trip report and taking the time to post the GPS track. Gardiner Basin is on my short list too. If only I can convince the group that the XC isn't beyond their abilities.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
shan1203
Topix Acquainted

Post by shan1203 »

oldhikerQ,

If it helps, we were also nervous about tackling Gardiner and it turned out to be much more tame than we anticipated. The experience and views were as spectacular (and moreso) than we imagined, but the route finding was very straightforward, the terrain was very manageable and there was much more trail to be found than we were expecting. That being said, we did take a very interesting and bushwhacky course to Gardiner Creek that I wouldn't recommend following in the footsteps of ;)

Gardiner Basin was spectacular - I highly recommend it! Also, there is something really neat about knowing all of the activity that is happening on the Rae Lakes Loop just outside the basin, while you are there in Gardiner likely enjoying your solitude. Good stuff!

Happy Hiking,
Shannon
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

oldhikerQ wrote:
If only I can convince the group that the XC isn't beyond their abilities.
Try introducing your group to some easy cross country trips like Humphrey's Basin, and
once they gain confidence, they will be ready to tackle the more remote places
in the Sierra.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Peak bagging and day hiking off trail can help develop experience and skills. Can be easier than cross country with a backpack.
hisdudeness47
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by hisdudeness47 »

shan1203 wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:08 am richlong8,

It took some time, but we've uploaded our tracks from the trip and you can view them here:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=3012650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What an awesome set of tracks. I'm happy to have a reason to reflect on this great trip :)

Happy Hiking,
Shannon
Is there still a way to see these tracks? It looks like AllTrails took over Everytrail.com and now I can't find these tracks...