Sierra First Timer - High Sierra Trail Itinerary Advice Need

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra First Timer - High Sierra Trail Itinerary Advice Need

Post by Rockyroad »

I've used East Side Sierra Shuttle and would not hesitate to use them again. Very dependable and friendly.
byeager
Topix Novice

Post by byeager »

Thanks for the tip on the ibuprofen limpingcrab, I had not heard that before but will be sure to give it a go. It is good to know that camping along Big Arroyo is an option. That will be the fall back if the lure of a good swim isn't enough for me to press on to Moraine Lake. I already got my hotel in Visalia but the couch offer is mighty kind!

Maverick, I will be sure to use the reconn tool, I always leave an itinerary with my wife but wouldn't have thought of the gear list/photos or the shoe print.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

limpingcrab wrote:I don't know of any camping with water access at Lone Pine Creek, the trail crosses it on a bridge about 70ft above the water, but maybe there is and I just haven't noticed it.
There's a spot with a fire ring on the right side of the trail between the bridge and the junction that goes off to Elizabeth Pass. There are some small creeks a few hundred yards up the trail towards Elizabeth Pass, but they might be dry this late this year. It's also not too hard to scramble down to Lone Pine Creek around there. Or just fill up at Bearpaw on the way.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Although I realize some like these kind of long mileage trips, especially those into athletic challenges, I sense you are more interested in an exciting enjoyable trip. From that perspective, I would not recommend your itinerary. It certainly is a long ways from the most scenic trip you might do. And if you really wanted to enjoy that HST route, a full 7 to 9 days would be far better. And way better at a decent time of summer like late July...not late September. That way you could actually stop and do something when reaching the several awesome places enroute instead of being a slave to pushing all waking hours in order to reach distant destinations.

Four nights with 5 days in the High Sierra is not very much time.

There is a long list of better 5 day trips. Like many trans Sierra routes, the HST spends a lot of time in rather ho hum terrain like forest and down in canyons. And in this droughty year a whole lot of those miles are going to be dry, dusty, and unpleasant. Much better if you spent all your time in the High Sierra and you can do that with an in and out hike from several Eastern Sierra trailheads. Plus that makes your logistics a lot simpler.

So 5 days? Onion Valley over Kearsarge Pass, Rae Lakes, spend a day or two exploring, and back out. Or Coldwater Creek at Mammoth Lakes over Duck Pass to Tully Lake and spend a day or two exploring the big lakes along the whole route. Lots of spur trails to worthy places on either route to keep someone busy for several times the days you are only going to have. Both these two would be considerably more scenic. Ask the board for advice.
byeager
Topix Novice

I Survived!

Post by byeager »

Hi All,

I had an amazing trip! I just wanted to thank everyone for the input, it definitely came in handy. I finally got a trip report posted too. It is available at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Again!