Cottonwood Basin TR: August 2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Cottonwood Basin TR: August 2014

Post by richlong8 »

The weekend of August 9-10, I headed up to the Horseshoe Meadows trailhead. Like many of you who come up from the south, this trailhead is an old friend. It was especially thrilling to me to take my 2nd backpack of the year, continuing my rehab from 2 back surgeries last fall. I packed into the easternmost South Fork Lake, which is about 4-4.5 miles from the parking lot. This trail is much less used, and less crowded, and more of a direct route than the main trail. The fishing was pretty good at the lake, campsite was good, and it was relatively uncrowded compared to the rest of the basin.
After making my camp on Saturday afternoon, I headed up to the upper South Fork lake, staying about 100-150 feet above the lakes until I reached the NW side of the uppermost South Fork Lake, intersecting the New Army Pass Trail about 10 minutes below Long Lake. I had some success fishing at Long Lake and High Lake, especially High Lake, for modest size trout.
The next morning, I rolled out early, and hiked up to Cottonwood Lakes #1-5, fishing a bit, and lounging around. I saw a buck at the first lake, and numerous other people camped around Lakes #3-5. This was a very enjoyable trip. The weather was a little cloudy, but no rain, and I reluctantly left my campsite at South Fork Lake about 3pm for the journey home. My back seems to be holding up well. I carried about 18 pounds, plus another pound of camera, and half a liter of water in a belt holster. What a joy to get back out into the High Sierra!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Cottonwood Basin TR: August 2014

Post by maverick »

Hi Rich,

Great to see you get out a second time this year after your surgery!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Very nice pics Rich and good to see another trip so quickly! Kudos to you! Kinda funny as I started backpack king some 40 years ago while living down south in the SF Valley, but I have never even been to Horseshoe Meadows. Might need to change that soon. Thanks again for the report!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Good to see you back in the high country and carrying a load. Nicely done. Best wishes for continued rehab and strengthening. You're already back beyond the average adult who never gets on the trail to places like Cottonwood Lakes.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Thanks for the encouragement. I shared the trail early Sunday morning with this young adult!
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Thanks, been wondering about this area. Congrats on your back!
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;