Trip Advice - Agnew Meadows vs JMT North of DP

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
artlv99
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Trip Advice - Agnew Meadows vs JMT North of DP

Post by artlv99 »

Hi, I'm planning a trip for a total of 3 people 3 nights first week of Sept... We'd like to go to Thousand Island Lakes, Shadow, and Ediza. I've read a bunch on here about starting out of Agnew Meadows and currently there are permits available just for entering via High Trail. Another permit option I saw was JMT north of Devils Postpile which I've read less about.

I was wondering if one would be preferable to the other in terms of scenery, difficulty, etc. First option, taking the JMT entry, sleeping first night at Shadow, seeing Ediza during day then next night sleeping at Garnet, followed by Thousand Island, and heading back to Agnew via HT, taking shuttle to original spot near PCT.

This vs, another route I've read about on this board that leaves Agnew via HT and takes JMT past Shadow and to River Trail ending back at Agnew.

Thanks in advance!
Silverfox
Topix Acquainted

Re: Trip Advice - Agnew Meadows vs JMT North of DP

Post by Silverfox »

Hi Artlv99,
Here is a link for requesting trip advice that will help others know your group and be able to offer better advice. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With that said the DP route to Shadow Lake is close to 10 miles and over 2000 feet elevation climb, also camping is prohibited at Shadow Lake, between Shadow Creek and the trail and also the south and east side of Ediza as well. If you were to take that route you could camp at Rosalie Lake along JMT. This route is much longer than your other option. There is many scenic spots along both routes.

The second option will be easier less elevation climb, however you cannot get to Shadow Lake from the High Trail, very scenic views of the Ritter Range and you can take the trail all the way to 1000 Island and then go to Garnet night 2, and Ediza night 3, then hike down the Shadow Creek Trail to the River Trail to get back to Agnew Meadows. So you can start and end at Agnew Meadows.

Silverfox
artlv99
Topix Newbie

Post by artlv99 »

Thanks Silverfox, and thank you for sending me the link for trip/route advice suggestions... will use in the future!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Artiv99,

Welcome to HST! It would still be helpful to know what your groups abilities are,
like how many miles a day are you comfy with, what level of experience do you
have, before giving you advice, only to later find out that you do not possess the
abilities for recommended routes, these questions are asked so you and you group
can have an enjoyable, but more importantly a safe trip. :)

PS Thank you Silverfox for recommending to the poster, to read the thread, good
looking out for a fellow new member. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Greetings artiv99

Shadow Lake isn't such a great place to camp. How about getting an early start and camping at Ediza Lake (in the appropriate area)? That's world class scenery there.

Peace.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Be aware that camping is forbidden at Shadow Lake. See http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 419404.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a map of the area where camping and wood fires are prohibited in that vicinity.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

And here is a map showing the restrictions near the outlets of 1000 Island and Garnet Lakes: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 419548.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

There are good campsites at Badger and Ruby as well as along the shores of Garnet away from the outlet and above the west side of Ediza that I'm aware of.