Introduction

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
srkent85
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Introduction

Post by srkent85 »

Hello All,

This is my first time posting on this forum so I'd like to introduce myself. I joined around the first of the year, but moving and a new job have kept me busy, to say the least.

My first visit to the Sierra was a fly-fishing trip to Hot Creek Ranch when I was 11 years old. I immediately fell in love with fly-fishing and the Eastern Sierra. Shortly after, I bought my first fly rod and started joining my stepdad and his friends on their semi-annual trips to Alpers Owens River Ranch. After much frustration, the first fish I ever caught was a 5+ lb. rainbow on a purple wooly bugger- I was hooked. In college I started making frequent trips to Mammoth in the winter. I made numerous trips between 2004-2006 and we seemed to get 3-5 ft of powder every time- I was hooked. After college I decided that I didn't want to sit in a cubicle, and was lucky enough to get a decent job at Mammoth Mountain Ski Area for the 2007-2008 winter. What I thought would be a season or two turned out to be 6 years in the Sierra (4 seasonal).

My first backpacking trip was out of Horseshoe Meadows into the GTW in late September of 2008. Needless to say, we experienced much colder temperatures than we expected. Nights were tough, and our "uneducated" packing resulted in very heavy packs. We ended up exhausted with bleeding feet, but had a great time- I was hooked.

During my time in Mammoth, I logged quite a few miles between Lone Pine and Yosemite, and completed the JMT in September of 2012. I look forward to exploring the more remote sections of the range in the future. I recently moved back to Orange County for employment reasons, but my mind is never far away from the next fishing, snowboarding or backpacking trip. My work schedule doesn't allow many trips anymore, but I try to make the most out of extended weekends and the few vacation days I do get.

I look forward to contributing what I can share from my (limited) experiences, as well as learning from all of you.

Cheers,
Steve
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Introduction

Post by maverick »

Hi Steve,

Welcome to HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Introduction

Post by justm »

Welcome aboard Steve, great info here, and a bunch of good hikers !! :nod: