Sixty Lake Basin | High Sierra Topix  

Sixty Lake Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
User avatar

Re: Sixty Lake Basin

Postby peninsula » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:42 pm




User avatar
peninsula
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Southern California
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Sixty Lake Basin

Postby SSSdave » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:08 pm

I never trust trails marked on topo maps as they were often hand entered. A year or two ago I showed on the summitpost.org site how the topo map lower trail up Shepherd Pass is grossly inaccurate by overlaying the satellite image on map. Then Bob Burd responded with a GPS track he'd made that was closely atop the true route I'd made. There are lots of other trails I know to be off also. Your software is likely a garbage in garbage out issue.

Personally as a smaller person carrying even more weight than you, I'd never consider taking on any of those 4 epic vertical rise trails in a day as you and most backpackers do and instead do so more leisurely in two. Cool to see the bighorns. Only one I've ever seen was along SR120 near Tioga Pass. IMO 60 Lakes and Rae Lakes basins though fine on many counts indeed would not make my top 20 list as the surrounding peaks are mostly ho hum. But certainly fine high country to be sure.
User avatar
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Silicon Valley
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Sixty Lake Basin

Postby peninsula » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:05 pm

SSSdave wrote:I never trust trails marked on topo maps as they were often hand entered. A year or two ago I showed on the summitpost.org site how the topo map lower trail up Shepherd Pass is grossly inaccurate by overlaying the satellite image on map. Then Bob Burd responded with a GPS track he'd made that was closely atop the true route I'd made. There are lots of other trails I know to be off also. Your software is likely a garbage in garbage out issue.


Interesting. That's the first time I've had an issue using pre-configured waypoints and mapping software, but I've only used Topo North America for the past three years. For several years prior, I used BaseCamp with a Garmin GPS without incidence. I switched to Delorme because I wanted the InReach Satellite Communicator.

The Kings Canyon Trail Map by Tom Harrison does show a route similar to the one I ended up recording via GPS tracking. I submitted my findings to Topo North America but have yet to hear back from them. I recorded GPS tracks for the entire trip and otherwise the software proved accurate, even the trail over Sawmill was pretty much dead on.
User avatar
peninsula
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Southern California
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Sixty Lake Basin

Postby SSSdave » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:30 am

One year I met Tom Harrison with his wheel used for mileage recording going up Mono Creek but the Sierra is vast and many of his maps use the same incorrect trail positions as were on USGS topos. Some of the Wilderness Press guides corrected trails but again most of their maps just copied the USGS maps. In this era with GPS all that could be corrected if hikers had a place to send in corrections for. I suggested such a few years ago but as someone not using GPS am not aware of what is going on with that.

Would be amused to see what your software shows for trails in this Mineral King area of the topo?

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.44986,-118.57953&z=15&t=T

If not same do a screen capture and lets see what it shows.
User avatar
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Silicon Valley
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Sixty Lake Basin

Postby peninsula » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:18 pm

SSSdave wrote: One year I met Tom Harrison with his wheel used for mileage recording going up Mono Creek but the Sierra is vast and many of his maps use the same incorrect trail positions as were on USGS topos. Some of the Wilderness Press guides corrected trails but again most of their maps just copied the USGS maps. In this era with GPS all that could be corrected if hikers had a place to send in corrections for. I suggested such a few years ago but as someone not using GPS am not aware of what is going on with that.

Would be amused to see what your software shows for trails in this Mineral King area of the topo?

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.44986,-118.57953&z=15&t=T

If not same do a screen capture and lets see what it shows.


Meeting Tom Harrison, that's a unique encounter!

It is different...
Attachments
TopoNA Mineral King.jpg
User avatar
peninsula
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Southern California
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Sixty Lake Basin

Postby Mradford » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:31 pm

This area has been on my list for a few years and your trip report makes me itch to go even more. I know it's a little late, but thanks for posting and it looked like an amazing trip.
User avatar
Mradford
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Irvine
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Sixty Lake Basin

Postby peninsula » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:29 am

Mradford wrote:This area has been on my list for a few years and your trip report makes me itch to go even more. I know it's a little late, but thanks for posting and it looked like an amazing trip.


It's a fun basin and well worth the visit. Cheers!
User avatar
peninsula
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Southern California
Experience: N/A

Previous

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], zacjust32 and 12 guests