Trip Advice--High Sierra Trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Trip Advice--High Sierra Trail

Post by Shhsgirl »

Two or three of us are hiking the High Sierra Trail from Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal, over the space of ten days, starting this Sat., Aug. 23. I would really love to not take a bear canister. Does anyone know whether the bear boxes at the various trail locations are reliably full, empty, or not even there? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice--High Sierra Trail

Post by maverick »

You will be fine Shhsgirl, bear box locations: http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bear_box.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will say that even though they may weigh a lot, they give you the freedom to
camp wherever you wish, and that alone makes them worth carrying, especially
if you have 10 days on the HST, a lot to explore away from the bear boxes.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

carry a can. as mav points out, it gives you freedom to explore and not be tied to a destination.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Also, most of the bear boxes are in locations that tend to be heavily used by other campers. If you want a semblance of privacy, a canister will allow you to have it. Most of the best places to camp on the HST are locations without bear boxes.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Yes, thank you Maverick and others, i just needed to hear it from the source. I will hump that canister and camp wherever I want!
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

Good choice. There are no boxes between Crabtree and the Portal, and canisters are required in Inyo between Trail Crest and Portal, so unless you want to hump from Crabtree to the Portal in one push . . . (not recommended) :bear: