TR Fern/Beck Lakes Loop From Devil's Postpile NM 8/11-8/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Nevada
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: TR Fern/Beck Lakes Loop From Devil's Postpile NM 8/11-8/

Post by Nevada »

That's good advice...And it is a beautiful area!
Pulpit
Topix Acquainted

Post by Pulpit »

Thanks for posting, nice trip. We did a trip up there in 2011, although we just camped at Fern all 3 nights and dayhiked everyday. Still kicking myself for not taking the time to hit Ashley Lake in our travels, everyone raves about that lake. I'd love to go back and camp at Holcomb or Ashley someday.

And we must've lucked out, Daisy, we did not see a single person except for trail crew in 4 days out there!

I can't get over how much more snow there was in 2011, even in the last week of August when we were up there:
62.jpg
129.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nevada
Topix Novice

Post by Nevada »

Ashley awaits you when you return one day! Thanks for the reply. I'm only 9 months late to thank you for your comments!
rpb
Topix Novice

Post by rpb »

Old thread but thanks for bumping. My very first overnight backpacking trip was a 1 nighter to fern lake about 30 years ago. Haven't been back to that lake since but those 2 pics of the lake are exactly how I remember. There were fish in fern lake back then, not sure about now though.
Pulpit
Topix Acquainted

Post by Pulpit »

My brother caught a bunch of little fish when we were there in 2011. Nothing bigger than 6 inches or so though, to the best of my memory.

It was 21 months, Nevada, but who's counting LOL j/k. Seriously though, we always talk about going back up that way to see Ashley and Minaret Lakes
Nevada
Topix Novice

Post by Nevada »

I love the contrast between your photos in 2011 and this trip in 2015! Every season in the Sierra is remarkable. Let's hope life doesn't get pushed off the top of the mountain as the climate continues to warm.